Oil and seal oak table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantx

Established Member
Reaction score
Would this be an appropriate method to finish an oak coffee table?
1. Sand to 320
2. Apply a few coats of danish oil
3. Finally, spray with lacquer

Would this 'harden' the top to daily abuse such as coffee cups, teacups, food etc?

Is there a better way?

you'll have to wait for the danish oil to fully cure before spraying with lacquer, I'd go with either danish oil or lacquer, I've heard osmo poly x is good for tables but not used it.

I've just used repeated coats of Danish oil on my tables.

Say, four wipe-ons or so, and it's pretty much resitant to most hot and cold stuff, within reason. The advantage of just Danish Oil for me is that it can be damp-clothed and then when the surface looks a bit tired, a flash over with a light abrasive followed by another wipe or two of oil. Done every year or two on kitchen tables.

Finish in the normal way.... then the first coat of oil will usually be drank up by the fresh wood, so I cut it down with some white spirit, allow it to absorb.... not long on fresh wood, then subsequent wipe-on/wipe-offs with fresh Danish.

However, there are Danish Oils and there are Danish Oils......which, in other words, there can be some variation in the constituents and subsequent finish between manufacturers. Different folk like different stuff.
However, without wanting to start a brand-tussle, Liberon works best for me.

I use osmo hard wax oil regularly on all my furniture projects and its a pleasure to use. No fuss no muss and a lovely hard-wearing finish that is so easy to apply. I've even used their outdoor product to great effect. Lacquer has its place but there are so many variables that you need to get right for a great finish. I like easy myself.

I wouldn’t sand the oak to 320 if applying Osmo oil as it will take so long to penetrate the wood.180 max. From experience!

I've just used repeated coats of Danish oil on my tables.

Say, four wipe-ons or so, and it's pretty much resitant to most hot and cold stuff, within reason. The advantage of just Danish Oil for me is that it can be damp-clothed and then when the surface looks a bit tired, a flash over with a light abrasive followed by another wipe or two of oil. Done every year or two on kitchen tables.

Finish in the normal way.... then the first coat of oil will usually be drank up by the fresh wood, so I cut it down with some white spirit, allow it to absorb.... not long on fresh wood, then subsequent wipe-on/wipe-offs with fresh Danish.

However, there are Danish Oils and there are Danish Oils......which, in other words, there can be some variation in the constituents and subsequent finish between manufacturers. Different folk like different stuff.
However, without wanting to start a brand-tussle, Liberon works best for me.
Hi all I can’t find how to post new thread .Can you french polish over outher finishes provided they are cut back .

Grantx, no this would not be a good finish you will be putting a hard finish over a soft flexible finish. Just stick to one product for the best finish, oil, wax oil, shellac or lacquer.

Back