Oak Burr platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

thought I would post some of my latest efforts :?

This one started as a Ebay lot win :lol: , makes a change

burroak.jpg

I wanted to retain the thick edge to show the Burr , and have a shallow dish on the top , matched with a shallow curve on the base , I am happy with the finished item , sanded through all grades and two coats of Lemon oil :p
It Ended up like this

IMG_1254.jpg

and side view

IMG_1255.jpg

and close up

IMG_1256.jpg

comments welcome :lol:

Hi Blister.

My preference would be for the bowl to be thinner as well, but a beautiful piece of tree wood.

Nicely done there Blister :D .
Tis the problem when you have a nice piece of wood whether to turn it down thinly thinking that leaving it thicker will show more beauty of the wood :shock: If you see what i mean.
Paul.J.

Nice piece,nice finish :D

Andrew (who was already thinking of getting some Lemon Oil,but even more convinced now)

Well done Blister for tackling it, I have a lovely piece of Maple burl and can't bring myself to turn it into shavings.

Seriously thinking of slicing it in half to make two shallow platters, maybe on stands so as not to waste wood.

Hi Blister,

you're braver than me trying that. Well done. I don't have the courage to attack some of my blanks yet.

The thickness is an interesting issue. I turned an oak bowl recently. Swmbo had a look at it and said it felt like balsa wood. She expected more weight from an oak bowl. To her it felt a little cheap.

We need to be able to meet peoples perception of the piece sometimes rather than just pushing our skills.

Another example of this came from Greg Moreton (monkey puzzle bowl turner). He has found that people like smelling the wood. Does it smell of anything? Of course not! Now he sprays a little orange oil on the inside. Now when people smell the bowl they get a pleasant surprise.

All very important if you're going to sell your work but rather pointless if it's just for yourself.

Dave

davejester":2x58304n said:
Hi Blister,

you're braver than me trying that. Well done. I don't have the courage to attack some of my blanks yet.

The thickness is an interesting issue. I turned an oak bowl recently. Swmbo had a look at it and said it felt like balsa wood. She expected more weight from an oak bowl. To her it felt a little cheap.

We need to be able to meet peoples perception of the piece sometimes rather than just pushing our skills.

Another example of this came from Greg Moreton (monkey puzzle bowl turner). He has found that people like smelling the wood. Does it smell of anything? Of course not! Now he sprays a little orange oil on the inside. Now when people smell the bowl they get a pleasant surprise.

All very important if you're going to sell your work but rather pointless if it's just for yourself.

Dave

davejester , thanks for the reply , I do agree with your comments , and as I said in the original post , I wanted to keep the sides thick to show off the Burr to its best , that's why its thick , but others have a preference for thin , if it was thin there would be no sides to look at , only the face of the platter ,
Some of the turners at the club I belong to are obsessed with thin :? some items are so thin you can see through them ? I seem to think they would blow away in a draught , but each to there own , thats why we are ALL different

Cheers :p

Back