Oak Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin macdiarmid

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a red oak bowl I've made, the wood has only been down for about six weeks, it was part turned to about three quarters of an inch thick, then put in a soapy water mixture (soap in your bowl method) then dried for a few weeks then turned this week finished it friday night, the bowl size is 12"x6", its the first time I've used this drying method, apologies for photo quality, not the best photographer.
P1010020-1.jpg

P1010022-1.jpg

P1010024-1-1.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

and a square zebrano bowl
P1010002-1.jpg

P1010025-2.jpg

P1010031-1.jpg

Both very nice pieces - the red oak one looks huge,and I love the angled sides on the zebrano bowl;the small feet finish it off beautifully :D

Andrew

As said the bowl looks huge, a bit like a mixing bowl. The zebrano bowl is novel. Not seen one like that before. Both to be proud of

Pete

I'd give my eye teeth to have some of those High teeth though ! :p ...
nice one, Steve !

Colin, your bowls are two beauties ...
the Zebrano is really different... Love that idea !
What are the bun feet made of ?
Its excellent to see different design ideas that people come up with... thats right 'unusual' and works very well !
=D> =D> =D> Like that very much ! 8) 8) 8)

Colin ,

Nice bowls

The Oak one looks a monster , has it moved a bit ? photo 3 looks a little out of true ? I had a witch elm bowl do the same to me :?

The square bolw is a winner , combination of design , colour , stunning looks , quality of Finnish , 10 out of 10 in my book :wink:

thanks for showing us :p

Thanks for the compliments much appreciated, yeh the oak bowl has moved a tad that happened when I took it in to the heat of the house,it never ceases to amaze me the way wood will move, twist, crack etc even after it has been down for years, I made a pine bowl about to years ago the tree had been down since 1943 and when it was blocked then turned it still moved, it also still had some sap in it.
The zebrano bowl was turned using the coles jaws, then the sides cut with a sliding chop saw, then pain stakingly sanded, the feet are mae from greenhart with a touch of stain applied to match the grain in the zebrano.
Thanks again for the kind comments etc

Beautiful work Colin, I really like the zebrano one with the feet, it really shows off the beauty of the timber, the side view of the grain is great.

JT

Two pieces showing a broad appreciation of styles, finish is excellent, edge control on the hand finished corners on the zebrano is to be commended.
I guess the Oak is going to continue its variations on a form theme for some time yet.

I think both bowls are great and the grain on the Zebrano one is stunning.
Just to show my ignorance what is the "soapy bowl method" wondered how long you soak for and the concentration of soap and whether it is effective.
Cheers Dave

Love the shape of the Zebrano bowl, and the contrast of the curved inner with the straight outside sets of the grain a treat!

It's made my 'folder of insipration' if you have no objections!

Hi Colin,

Both are great but I especially like the Zebrano bowl, what a great way to show off the grain :D

Mike C

Back