NU-tool grinder bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Nu-Tool grinder with "heavy duty" bearings. I've had it a few years and needless to say the bearings are whining.
I've measured them and they're 40mm OD, 17mm ID and 17mm thick.

Enquiring on the net I've had a response for same nut 16mm thick but at £18 each. I'm sure NU-TOOL didn't pay that for them.
Other searches lead me to believe that 17mm thick are not common.

So one question is: Does anyone know where I can buy NU-TOOL specific spares.

The other alternative is to use some form of thrust/spring washer to take up the 2mm. There already are a couple fitted, strangely both in one end (possible an assembly error). What is the proper name for these washer so I can search for them.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi
I hadn't found them, but same problem: they don't do the exact size.

I'll have to look at spacers so I can use standard bearings.

Many thanks

Andy

Are you sure they are 17mm wide, there is a 3203B bearing that is 17.5 mm wide Double row AC bearing.

What is the number on your bearing?

I'd be tempted to fit standard 6203s which cost next to nothing and use a few dabs of retainer to keep them in place or easy enough to turn up a spacer

Hi,

I'll re-check the width because if I mis-measured then it will save me a lot of effort (and money if its the common size) Otherwise it going to be a narrower bearing and a spacer because the end float is controlled by bearing position in the housing.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy, what is the bearing code number on the outside rim please....there should be a standard equivalent bearing available on one of the look-up charts...it would be quite a surprise if Nu-tool used a non standard bearing given he cost implications. bearing types have been standardised since the early 1900's.

Al

Hi All,

So I took a gamble and bought the commonest/nearest thinking I would have to make up some spacers. These were the FAG 62032Z Metal Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 17x40x12mm from Simply bearing as £7.80 inc postage, as suggested by Myfordman.

They arrived today and this evening I proceeded to dismantle the grinder and Lo and Behold I had measured the bearing incorrectly. They were in fact 12mm wide. So for once in my life an error has worked in my favour.
So having replaced them I have a whine free grinder.

AND having taken the bearing old off I now see a number that I could not see before and guess what its 6203. (Note to self: Get more lights)

One thing I note: On re-assembly all the screws round the main casting have to be screwed up equally tight or the spindle doesn't fit straight and the grinder won't rotate. A small amount of difference is all that's needed.

Many thanks all

Andy

Back