Now that's what I call a natural edge table!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I was teaching a course at British Hardwoods and spotted this very impressive table in their rest area, it’s Wych elm burr measuring approximately 2.4m by 1.1m. Tony, the main man at BH, who made the table, explained to me how he went about flattening the board, it would have been a big job by hand! He used a Lucas Mill with a planning cutter. The mill is a useful machine, in sawing mode it can cut boards up to 700mm wide. This link shows the mill flattening a wide natural edge board.

https://www.facebook.com/britishhardwoods/videos/1633485563395438/

If you are interested in making a big natural edge table it may be worth contacting BH, or getting a Lucas mill!

IMG_20180609_131950_opt.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_131950_opt.jpg
    IMG_20180609_131950_opt.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 186
Mr T":6p5mijma said:
it’s Wych elm burr measuring approximately 2.4m by 1.1m...it would have been a big job by hand!

A couple of hours of moderately bracing work, nothing to it! This is a similarly sized Elm slab that I flattened with a bench plane,
Elm-1.jpg

It's a shame Elm is so rare in today's timber yards, especially in the south of England. It's a timber that works on any scale, the previous photos show the impact and majesty of the timber from a distance. But up close, say in smaller projects, Elm shows a whole new level of beguiling interest,
Elm-2.jpg

Elm-3.jpg

Attachments

• Elm-1.jpg
    Elm-1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Elm-2.jpg
    Elm-2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Elm-3.jpg
    Elm-3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 164
custard":21qv4nwr said:
A couple of hours of moderately bracing work, nothing to it! This is a similarly sized Elm slab that I flattened with a bench plane,

I suppose it depends how flat it is to start with. Air dried also planes more easily than kilned. You are right about Elm being a lovely timber, especially wych elm which usually has some interesting colour variations. I understand wych elm was also less prone to Dutch elm disease so perhaps theres more around. BH have some good burry elm logs ready for milling.

Chris

custard":2f17x0am said:
It's a shame Elm is so rare in today's timber yards, especially in the south of England. It's a timber that works on any scale, the previous photos show the impact and majesty of the timber from a distance. But up close, say in smaller projects, Elm shows a whole new level of beguiling interest,

Excuse my ignorance Custard, the wood looks fantastic but is that the finish you achieved with the plane, or has it been treated with some type of finish?

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

Obi Wan Kenobi":26qzmdks said:
is that the finish you achieved with the plane, or has it been treated with some type of finish?

Osmo Obi, waiting to go onto the frame and legs.

Back