Nova Viking 16 drill press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireburst

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a nova Viking 16 drill press and after spending over an hour building it (floor mounted and quite heavy for a one person build) I get an error 4 message when I attempt to start the motor.

The manual just states that error 4 means ‘motor not starting’.

I have contacted tech support at Yandles (where I purchased it) and I am awaiting them to come back to me.

I was wondering if any nova owners have come across this before or if I’m just unlucky and got a DOA unit. I’m beginning to wish that I had gone for a more traditional drill press with less possible points of failure.

It has a few nice bells and whistles but like anything that gets ‘improved’ you increase exposure to possible failure.

It’s not been a lucky week. I had a delivery of a new Laguna Fusion 3 table saw and a new Laguna 18bx bandsaw arrive to my workshop yesterday but the delivery truck had no tail lift so couldn’t get the machines off the back :(

I was promised they would be re delivered today but it’s just gone 4pm and I am getting the feeling it will now be next week.

Fireburst....
I bet that delivery company was cheap tho...hahaha......

we have a UK international shipping comp that deleivers here...
they have a yard and warehouse but NO forklift....!!!!!!!!!.
had loadsa fun getting my Wadkin RS wood lathe into the back of my T4.....
I use a foreign firm now....

They are being delivered on Monday now, but it's not an issue to be fair as I need to sort the 16a supply for both machines. Luckily I have a few 415 32a 3-phase sockets in the unit, so I can get a16a off one of those using a 3 phase to single phase cables from tough leads that have a 16a MCB on it as a temporary measure whilst I await the electrical contractor to run me a couple of new 16a circuits.

As a side note regarding the Nova Viking not starting issue, I have been contacted by Teknatool, who manufactures the drills and they have given me a couple of things I can check which require me to open it up. I am happy to do this as they have given me permission to do so as I was worried of invalidating any warranty if I did this without consultation. Obviously, if this results in a fix, I will report back to this thread.

Fireburst....
I bet that delivery company was cheap tho...hahaha......

we have a UK international shipping comp that deleivers here...
they have a yard and warehouse but NO forklift....!!!!!!!!!.
had loadsa fun getting my Wadkin RS wood lathe into the back of my T4.....
I use a foreign firm now....
wow no forklift at a shipping company is just plain cheap

I am also a Nova Viking owner and just wanted to say that I used to have an Elliot 2GS and also a Herbert Type B and thought hard about changing them but after 11 months of Viking ownership I have no regrets and the machine has performed faultlessly. I had a question when I first got it and Teknatool were excellent at answering it. Surprisingly much better torque drilling metal than the old Elliot 2GS. I am sure Teknatool will get you up and running.
Nigel

Has anyone with a Viking bought a mortiser attachment for it? If so, would you recommend it?

I have been looking at the benchtop version and it is tempting. Full disclosure - I am a sucker for digital controls and new features, but my current benchtop drill is powerful and works well enough for what I do 99% of the time (putting holes in things)

@Fireburst You will have to update us as to what features you find to be the handiest once you have had it for a while.

Last edited:
Back