Nova 1624-44 Pulley Allignment Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesh

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm hoping someone will be able to assist with a problem I have with my 1624. The pulleys are slightly out of alignment and the manual says just loosen the grub screw and move the motor pulley. No problem says I, I have loosened the grub screw and unfortunately it promptly came all the way out falling between the pulley and the motor mount plate. The gap between the two parts is too small to remove the grub screw and I cant move the pulley at all, I've tried a couple of flat levers but it wont budge. If anyone can offer a solution I would appreciate it.

I am also contacting RP and the supplier to see if they can offer a solution.

Regards

Steve

Check that the pulley has not go a second grub screw under the one you removed.

It's quite normal to have a second locking screw on machine pulleys subject to vibration.

Presume the pulley is Aluminium, if so try playing a hot air dryer on the pulley to see if you can get it to expand, another Trick if a pulley won't pull off is to get a hollow drift (large socket) and try and tap it further on to break the 'sticktion', if it moves clean up the outward area of the shaft and lubricate then try pulling off.

Thanks Chas, having googled the probelm a suggestion on another site is to 'tap' the pulley further on to the shaft which should loosen it as it's on a key (whatever that is) which I think is what you are suggesting. I will give it a go but will need to be careful as the pulley as you suggested is alluminium.

Regards

Steve

If you can't see a key slot from the end of the shaft it might have a Woodruff Key but I would not expect to see one on a pulley system that relies on pulley variable location to align the belts.

Key slot in shaft and pulley = square key.
Key slot in pulley alone, suspect Woodruff Key.

As a picture is worth a thousand words I thought I'd post a couple, as you can see I cant see the end of the shaft so I cant see if there is a slot as it's solid. I've tried tapping it on but am not known for my gentle touch so am reluctant to give it too much welly just incase I do any damage.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCN2593.JPG
    DSCN2593.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,574
  • DSCN2599.JPG
    DSCN2599.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 1,574
That's about as unfriendly a design as I've seen for some time.

OK with care (as it's Alli) place a series of small wedges around the periphery of the pulley, tapped in firmly (but not with a 1kilo hammer.)
Now tap the end of the pulley with a block of wood as an anti bruising aid between hammer and pulley.

I know this sounds daft as you are hitting toward the wedges but the fraction of a millimetre reaction with the wood and end of shaft might shift it.

Warming it up well should help considerably.

With that sort of pulley design I personally would be tempted to have a hole drilled down the centre and tapped something like 12mm as and when you get it off.

That way a bolt, and possibly an extension rod dependant on how thick and solid the end is, could be used against the end of the shaft to jack it off in future.

Thanks for your help Chas, I emailed Stiles and Bates who I bought the lathe from last night and had a reply first thing this morning. Excellant service as usual from them as Dave Bates replied first thing and Mike (one of his team) phoned me this afternoon. He had spoken to RP but basically didnt get much help from them so stripped his display model in the shop and rung me when he had worked it out. The upshot is that the pulley is held on with a grub screw and a keyway. The pulley was eventually moved with the help of longer levers and a lot of force. It now moves as it should and I've managed to align them both properly which has had the desired effect. I now have a much quieter lathe, the belt change is easier and the cam lever that was a bit of a pain works as it should.

Many Thanks for your help.

Regards

Steve

Glad you got it sorted, I detest those sort of problems when you have to resort to brute force, seeing more and more of them these days with the lack of adequate QA at point of manufacture/assembly.

Just a heads up....

This is a common problem with the nova 1642 around here. I know of 3 guys that had the same problem. It seems that the grub screw backs out a bit over time and the pulley slips the shaft a bit. The easiest fix would be to drill and tap another hole on the opposite side, and add a second grub screw. Lock tight on the grub screw would be beneficial as well.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep an eye on the alignment but with the force I had to use to move the pulley I will be very suprised if it moves anytime soon.

Steve

I know this is an old thread but I just read it and was gripped throughout. I pick up a 1624 next week and was looking for any forum input on the lathe. This is terrific stuff and I'm really glad the OP got it sorted in the end. Needless to say, I'll be back.

have been there myself
used a small neodymium magnet (well secured) to extract screw (homer)

I'm currently fighting this problem after having the belt shred. Been trying to get another belt from Techatool for three months, they guaranteed me it's on it's way. Have not been able to budge either pulley, did minor damage to grooves in one pulley trying.

Back