Not "which" bandsaw, but "why" a bandsaw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angusdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Probably seems like a daft question, but why do I want a bandsaw?

Background: I've made quite a few household projects over the years, using my Triton workcentre & DeWalt circular saw and router. I've also made a fair few projects in metal.

Thanks to a new career (in the late summer years of my life...), I've found the budget for more tools and decided to get into proper joinery. Rather than relying on the thickness of wood available, I've purchased a 10" combination planer/thicknesser.

And I've found myself wanting a bandsaw, but I'm not entirely sure how I'd use it. I can see how it would be handy to have. What are some of the common joinery operations I could do on it? I'm thinking cutting tenons might be easier than setting up my homemade router table for example, or ripping thicker timber in half.

The bandsaw I'm thinking of is about 500 of your english pounds and has these specs:
motor 1-1/2hp 240v
cutting depth 200mm
cutting width 345mm
maximum rip 205mm
table size 550 x 400mm
The brand (Carba Tec) probably doesn't mean much in the UK but is reasonably regarded in the colonies.

I'll probably end up buying it (SWMBO won't mind when she sees the output...hopefully...), but it would be good to know it's a reasonably versatile and worthwhile tool.

TIA,

Simon AKA Angusdog.

Cutting curves, shop made veneers and ripping/resawing timber is my justification. Mainly the latter to be honest.

Yet another from Aotearoa. :) Welcome. :)
I have a 175mm circular saw (loathsome thing), rarely used. A good jigsaw and a bandsaw get used for nearly everything, with 2 or 3 decent blades you'll be surprised what you can use a bandsaw for.

Have some fun making a few bandsaw boxes for presents or to sell. Great fun and I only started a few months ago and have a 16" bandsaw after starting with a smaller one in January.
Boxes R Aug 2014.jpg

These are some of the ones I have made so far

Alex

Attachments

• Boxes R Aug 2014.jpg
    Boxes R Aug 2014.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 972
For me and my needs Its by far the most versatile cutting machine that I have in the workshop. Its also one of the safest cutting machines.

Roger

One cut on a bandsaw and one or two passes through the thicknesser is a lot quicker than twenty or thirty passes on the thicknesser to reduce your timber by 30 or 40mm.

I don't have a bandsaw but will surely buy one once I can afford a bigger shop with room enough for it. Anyway most of the jobs I would need a bandsaw for are jobs that would require a fairly big and rigid bandsaw. That would mean an old cast iron beast with let's say 24" or bigger wheels and a big three phase motor. Such a saw can be used with a wide blade that is good for ripping and resawing and even for roughting out tennons that are too big to be made on my spindle moulder and of cause for roughing out the corners of certain types of traditional window frames. With a narrower blade it could be used to saw out big curved shapes like boat parts.

A small bandsaw....... I don't really know it I would have much use for it really......... but maybe that's just me. A big enough table saw is more important to me. However people who make a lot of smaller stuff seem to use their small bandsaws all the time.

In the end it all boils down to the question of what you intend to make?

Angus,
I have just a small band-saw but find it extremely useful for ripping and cross-cutting small sections, and for cutting tenons.
John

Totally agree on the whole "safest cutting tool" thing. Never thought I would use mine as much as I do.

Make up an adjustable circle jig and you can re-invent the wheel, regularly.

Okey dokey - thanks for the replies. My wife is away for a couple of weeks later in September, which gives me time to have it delivered and ensconced in the workshop somewhere. She was surprised by the size of the thicknesser/planer. I think I'm the only person we know who gets tools delivered on pallets...

Angusdog":3puwx3to said:
I think I'm the only person we know who gets tools delivered on pallets...

I wonder what kind of people you know........... Around here it is pretty common to see tools that are too big and heavy to fit on a pallet....... :lol:

Latest posts

Back