Not sure where to start with this..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitstreams

Reaction score
I am building a prototype piece of audio equipment and would like to enclose it in a solid (or cut from solid) wooden chassis. I want a curved, teardrop style shape and it needs to be hollow to accommodate the electrical components. It also needs to be a quality wood that can be finished with a lacquer/wax with good results.

I threw together this drawing to give an idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about;

tinker.PNG

Dimensions are very approx at the moment, but probably 30cm long x 15cm wide x 12cm deep. It might have a solid base or an opening at the base which is smaller than the opening at the top.

My question is how you would create this. From a solid piece of wood? I'm guessing you can't turn an irregular shape like this? Would it be easier if it was symmetrical - like an ellipse (I don't want a cylinder)? This is for a prototype but any design needs to be scaleable to small quantity production. Can you mill this sort of shape perhaps?

Thanks for reading - any ideas gratefully received.

Simon

Attachments

• tinker.PNG
    tinker.PNG
    114.1 KB · Views: 267
It could be milled with a router using a template.
Once you have the template you could make as many as you like that are identical.
Routing 4" deep would be an issue though.
Maybe make it in 2 or 3 levels?
Bending wood that small would be very tricky if not impossible.

Are you looking to make these yourself? or someone else to make them for you? not very easy to make with out correct equipment. Could probably help you out if you wanted them made?

adidat

Outside shape could be done on a decent bandsaw but I envisage a fair bit of sanding to get a decent finish. Routing would do the interior but as mentioned depth would be an issue.
Working on the ' If you can't hide it, make a feature of it' principle, Have you considered layering (alternating colour?) woods. Domestic tools would then be more than capable of shaping and hollowing, cascamite glue would be a decent option and your timber shopping would be far simpler (there are probably more 1 or 2 inch boards about than 6 inch ones)

nev/justben - I like the idea of creating several shallow pieces that are then glued on top of each other to create the depth - with the possibility of making a feature of the bands on the outside with different woods. This would also allow us to create mounting ledges and shelves internally which would give us options for stacking boards and reducing the overall size.

adidat - I'm not envisioning making these ourselves, even for the prototype. Probably best to stick with what we know - though I suppose we might glue together and finish the prototype.

From what you've described, I'm imagining cut pieces that look a bit like thick wooden gaskets, perhaps with details inside that create ledges for mounting components. So you'd use a router for the inside - can this be done for the outside to get a crisp (and reproducible edge)?
Would these be cut with a CNC type machine (excuse my ignorance - I know this is done in metal but I'm not sure about wood).

regards
Simon

Definately a Bandsaw project ( as the video above) and easy to make the front (lid) with an acoustic material. It's too deep for a Router.

Hi Simon. They could be cut with a CNC machine. It would give you the ability to consistently produce the same design.
In a way yes they would be like a gasket but i would say you want to keep the thickness of each piece to about 1/2 inch to 1 inch.

Do they have to resonate the sound, as different hardwoods are better for that (ones used with instrument making such as rosewood)

Mark

I'm not sure the bandsaw route is the way to go, at least based on the video. It doesn't look to me that the finish would be good enough or reproducible reliably, given that I'm going to have to have other components (such as the mounting plate) cut to fit.

The wood doesn't, at this stage at least, have to resonate as we'll use external speakers.

Thanks for all the help chaps - this has shown me what's possible.

Simon

bitstreams":1guhfe84 said:
I'm not sure the bandsaw route is the way to go, at least based on the video. It doesn't look to me that the finish would be good enough or reproducible reliably, given that I'm going to have to have other components (such as the mounting plate) cut to fit.

The wood doesn't, at this stage at least, have to resonate as we'll use external speakers.

Thanks for all the help chaps - this has shown me what's possible.

Simon

Thanks for saying thanks.....most don't when they make random queries. Good luck with it. :wink:

Back