Not so good, can't make an apple :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I thought I would try to make an apple, not so easy as I thought, although I was getting a really nice polished finish straight of the tool on the piece of generic construction softwood.
Barrel shapes yes, cones, door knobs and all manner of shapes but nothing convincingly apple shaped.
Will try again but not tomorrow.. I hope to finally tackle the Acacia branch in the lane and maybe even chainsaw some blanks.

I am glad I decided to do a few practice ones before risking any good wood.

It's not as easy as it looks. Some of my early attempts are unrecognisable as fruit. :D The stalk helps.
Remember too though, apples are organic and no too are the same. Try taking a real apple into the workshop maybe?

It's on my 'to attempt' list.
Whack 'turning an apple' into google / youtube and you'll get loads of videos to get an idea.
Do show us the results, (including the rotten ones!)

Its on my 'to do' list as well, as is just about everything else you can think of.
Looking forward to seeing the Acacia branch when you get it down, lovely looking wood.

I am in the same boat. I can do all sorts of things but fruit? sorry, just can't get the shape right. Definitely a knack to it which I don't have.

Pete

It is surprisingly difficult to get a convincing apple shape, pears and eggs likewise I find !

Usually takes a few go's to get the eye in and then you're away :)

Cheers, Paul

I quite enjoy making fruit . I have not perfected it yet but I am starting to get the hang of it by plenty of practice. The knack is to make yourself some decent small screw chucks. After finishing the top of the apple in a standard chuck I reverse the apple onto a screw chuck to finish the bottom of the apple. I recently had to shorten an oak church pew to fit into my sons hallway, with the bits that were left over I made a small oak plate and a few bits of fruit. The picture quality is not to good.

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,023
I have had a go at an apple and a pear and the first attempt was good and would grace anyone's table, so I thought that I would do a fruit bowl full of them. The bowl was OK but can I turn more fruit to match the first NO WAY so I put it down to pure luck that the first came out OK.
It was a bit like turning the egg last month that was harder than I thought even for what seemed an easy shape.

I know it costs but I learnt how to turn fruit with a DVD from Andy Lodge called "Turning For Results, Fruit Turning Masterclass.
It covers apples pears cherries oranges and plums. Hope this helps. You may find it listed on Ebay

Dalboy":cu4olupj said:
I have had a go at an apple and a pear and the first attempt was good and would grace anyone's table, so I thought that I would do a fruit bowl full of them. The bowl was OK but can I turn more fruit to match the first NO WAY so I put it down to pure luck that the first came out OK.
It was a bit like turning the egg last month that was harder than I thought even for what seemed an easy shape.

Go and buy a bag of apples and pears and have a look at them. None are the same shape they all have their own natural shape. I am sure that if you had filled the bowl with turned fruit they would have looked great.

Vic

Can't remember who it was, might have been DuncanH, turned a bowl of fruit ranging from lemons through to grapes. he did them all in appropriate coloured woods, looked really great. See if I can find it later when I have a moment. Must dash. Workshop to clean for a student tomorrow.

Pete

Hi

The issue with turning fruit is that in it's natural form fruit is not symmetrical about it's axis - any attempt from the lathe will be, (I suppose eccentric turning and blending could be used to get around this), it's always going to be a compromise between effect and accuracy.

Regards Mick

Anyone know how to put an appropriate smell into wooden fruit that will last more than just a few hours ?

Please note. I said 'APPROPRIATE SMELL' :)

I did a WIP years ago on here.... Found it, here you go:

fruit-wip-t38385.html

My advice is to spend a bit of time at the supermarket or grocers and find what you consider a 'perfect' Apple and pear, then take them back to the workshop and study them. Look at where curves start and finish, how deep the dimples in the ends are etc etc. make notes and then try again. It's quite an interesting exercise to really study something you thought you already knew very well.

I look at some peoples apples and wonder if they've every actually seen one!!

Hope that helps

Richard

Richard Findley":3g40a43x said:
I look at some peoples apples and wonder if they've every actually seen one!!
Ah..., you've seen some of mine then..... :D
I always start off with a shape in mind, then make a mistake (design opportunity) and it all goes horribly un-apple shaped.

Latest posts

Back