Not so good, can't make an apple :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can imagine the creative dept as they tried to assemble the ditty for the famous ad:

A Mars a day helps you work rest and.....fur up your arteries......no it just isn't catchy enough......

You called...?? :wink:

I make apples from roughly a cube of 3" timber (although recently I've been making them slightly more squat, from about 2 7/8" by 3") pears I base on a conference style and cut the blank about 3 3/4" - 4" long. You can use slightly less thick timber for pears as well, but it's up to you.

Just remember to keep the curve flowing, the widest part is maybe 1/4 of the way up.

HTH

Richard

Richard Findley":3nakr8vg said:
You called...?? :wink:

I make apples from roughly a cube of 3" timber (although recently I've been making them slightly more squat, from about 2 7/8" by 3") pears I base on a conference style and cut the blank about 3 3/4" - 4" long. You can use slightly less thick timber for pears as well, but it's up to you.

Just remember to keep the curve flowing, the widest part is maybe 1/4 of the way up.

HTH

Richard

Thanks Richard

The last one looked like a light bulb :) I'll try your approach and see where it takes me.

Been away from te turning as had other stuff to do. The good thing is I ended up with a length of gatepost spare so put it between centres and made a start on another apple. Not finished but am happy enough with the bottom half and hope when the top has been rounded it will be acceptable. Today I had ago at cutting apple blanks from short ends of timber from offcuts of bowl blanks. Apart from the half dozen bits of pine, have 5 each of Yew and walnut although with some bad bits in the wood. ( they were from scrap ends). Also 3 from the acacia branch I took down last week and a couple cherry and two from a very exceptionally figured piece of oak. So that should keep me busy. The gatepost is just a tad over 3 inches diameter so the apples will end up a bit bigger. key thing is the proportions.

The gatepost rounded off.
P1020166.JPG

The haul of blanks and some of the leftovers.
P1020171.JPG

On teh left, really nice figured oak.
P1020172.JPG

Attachments

• P1020166.JPG
    P1020166.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 507
  • P1020171.JPG
    P1020171.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 507
  • P1020172.JPG
    P1020172.JPG