Not so good, can't make an apple :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other method is using a deep cup chuck, similar to one sometimes used for turning balls. It does mean all your apples have to be exactly the same size though, so not a viable option for me.

When mounting on the screw chuck, use the tailstock to guide the apple onto the screw, and initially support it with the tailstock while you remove the bulk, then you're good to go. A slight run off doesn't really matter though.

For padding between the screw chuck and apple, I just use a bit of paper towel, router mat has a bit too much spring in it and can introduce unwanted vibrations. It's a fine line, but you want 'just enough' padding to protect the finished underside without destabilising it.

HTH

Richard

Thanks Richard (and Dal for the link). I'll read that through when I get chance. I agree that the cup chuck wouldn't suit me either because I wouldn't want to spend the nitpicking time getting the diameter that accurate. So I will take the time to build a decently centred screw chuck and follow your method.

Out of interest, what sort of time do you think you put into one apple, cradle to grave?

Random Orbital Bob":fguil3zm said:
The first time I turned apples I did it with a screw chuck using the method you describe. It turned fine for the first side but when I reversed it I couldn't for the life of me get it to run true.
My first few attempts was before I had a chuck, so mounted the cylinder on a glue block to shape, then drilled the stalk hole on the lathe. When I reversed it on the screw chuck it ran fairly true.
Having seen Richard's tutorial though, I will turn the bottom first if I attempt any more.

Hi Bob

I make them in batches, which is always the most efficient way to make things, but I think I can do about 8 an hour. I know a couple of guys (who make A LOT of apples) that reckon they can do 15 an hour but that is really going some!!

Good luck! Just post if you need any more advice, I'll keep watching.

Cheers

Richard

I've just digested your wip in detail Richard. Some GREAT tips in there so many thanks for that. To all those who like me are struggling with the finessing of the apples, Richard explains some of the critical sizing steps that help to guarantee the correct shape.

It was kind of you to share that...I hope I can do it justice :)

Just seen the one that's going to cross with this.....8 an hour....BLOODY HELL! Its taking me best part of an afternoon :)

Right then...a busy afternoon.

I digested Richard's wip on reverse mounting apples in a screw chuck. I had made one yonks ago withan M6 coach bolt but to I found for some reason the bolt wasn't centred sufficiently and I think M6 is too large a bore for a delicate apple stem or other end.

Took the advice on board about dimples and used what I'd learned yesterday regarding the curves.

First job was to make another screw chuck and just forget about the old one. Turned the stock to size, mounted in chuck with spigot then very carefully aligned tailstock with Jacobs chuck in and drilled a 3mm pilot hole right through the stock.

Epoxy'd in a 4mm good quality screw and was careful to keep it centred. Finished it with a superglued on little overcoat of new kitchen dischcloth sponge to protect the apple when butted against the face of the screwchuck. Once it had gone off I mounted it and observed the runout. It's still well off true but a substantial improvement on the original M6 one. (Oak by the way).

Then I turned the apple exactly as in Richards wip and it worked a treat. The reverse mounted fruit was a tad wobbly but no much that I was unable to blend the newly turned dimple and the already finished other side.

So these pictures should show basically that. Last one shows the evolution of my apples from no dimple and no consideration of shape to the present day. Incidentally, the clove trick works beautifully for the leaf end.

Many thanks to Richard and all else for the help in moving this process forward. Pear next methinks.

apple evolve reverse mounted.jpg
apple evolve just off the chuck.jpg
apple evolve 1.jpg
apple evolve 2.jpg
apple evolve 3.jpg
apple evolve 4.jpg
apple evolve 5.jpg
apple evolve 6.jpg

Attachments

• apple evolve  screw chuck.jpg
    apple evolve screw chuck.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve reverse mounted.jpg
    apple evolve reverse mounted.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve just off the chuck.jpg
    apple evolve just off the chuck.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 1.jpg
    apple evolve 1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 2.jpg
    apple evolve 2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 3.jpg
    apple evolve 3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 4.jpg
    apple evolve 4.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 5.jpg
    apple evolve 5.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 618
  • apple evolve 6.jpg
    apple evolve 6.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 618
That is a great apple. I too have been studying Richards WIP. ( Thank you Richard). I hope to get some time tomorrow to have another go, Yesterday was a chainsaw day. and today we had visitors all afternoon. so soon as I have sorted out the geese and planted what I need to I will have a go. The very very good thing is I have sorted out oddments of Yew so once I am good enough I will try some of that.

Odd really, before I started turning I had visions of doing nothing but monster bowls, but have now realised, there isn't much you can do with a bowl once they get over 14-15 inches. a foot across is a handy sized bowl.

big salad platters are on my bucket list. My biggest bowl thus far, limited by the swing, is about 111/2".

I'd quite like to do a real big 16-20 incher for salad. The CL4 has a large bowl assembly that attaches to the side and then you turn the headstock through 90 degrees to get away from the beds. This allows a max bowl diameter of 30". I have this but have yet to install it and turn a monster.

Getting back to the apple, I think yew would be a cracker for fruit and I look forward to you turning one.

Well done. That is a huge difference. I think I need to have another go at fruit at some point. I've done a 3 wood thingummy, but I'm not 100% happy with it, so this weekend will probably be another go at the May challenge.
Once I've done that though, I have a nasty looking bit of oak I used as a jam chuck at one point which may become an apple.

Lovely evolution, Bob - that is inspiring to see such an improvement over just three pieces - that Findley chap knows his onions, I mean, apples.

Onions? Now then Bob, how about that, now? :wink:

Greg

I also have to get some fruity practice in but each months project seems to be taking the full month at the moment ( sure I will speed up when I get used to it ) The apple isn't needed till harvest time so I think I will leaf it till then.

gregmcateer":280pjoma said:
Lovely evolution, Bob - that is inspiring to see such an improvement over just three pieces - that Findley chap knows his onions, I mean, apples.

Onions? Now then Bob, how about that, now? :wink:

Greg

Most kind Greg (and other chaps comments too). It's amazing how the input of a seasoned veteran like Richard can modify your own pathetic attempts isn't it. He was spot on with the dimple depth and the 30mm measurement line helping to design in the right position of the "waistline" of the apple. I feel really chuffed with the outcome because like all of us on this theme, apples are surprisingly difficult to get right.

Things to get right still include not just using a twig for the stem but turning some dark wood like ebony or rosewood. I just don't have any and ebony costs a fortune (£50 for one modest sized square blank in toolpost). I really fancy doing a pear next too.

How the hell people do bananas, I've no idea???

Grahamshed":jz5094ar said:
I also have to get some fruity practice in but each months project seems to be tajubf row dull month at the moment ( sure I will speed up when I get used to it ) The apple isn't needed tip harvest time so O think I will leaf it tip then.

That's a good point Graham. This took a lot of time investment on my part and I think for these more esoteric pieces that's what you have to do (I do anyway). I think if folks jump straight to a dedicated attempt to model Richard's approach then they will leapfrog a good bit of the trial and error learning I went through

Ye Gods. I really must proof read my posts. The spell check mangles more words than my typos do (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Random Orbital Bob":1pojf5mx said:
Things to get right still include not just using a twig for the stem but turning some dark wood like ebony or rosewood. I just don't have any and ebony costs a fortune (£50 for one modest sized square blank in toolpost).
You could alsways soak a rusty bit of wire wool in vinegar and use the fluid to "ebonise" a bit of oak. I've been playing around with that recently and it's amazing how quickly the wood darkens.

Latest posts

Back