Norton India Oilstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone have any idea how I can "flatten" my oilstone? I have tried Emery cloth but no good.

Or is it time to get a new one.

I am still trying to work out what the very hard and smooth reddish coloured stone I have inherited. I have pictures but cannot sem to find a way of posting them. I know some of you have offered help but its still no good.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I think you need to get a bit more vicious with it, emery cloth is fine for waterstones but oilstones are much more durable.

Try a belt sander with a new 80 grit belt, or rub it on a paving stone until you get an even surface, then worry about getting it properly flat.

A piece of glass or other flat medium with a coarse abrasive paper (120ish) stuck to it will be fine for the final tweaking. then pour in as much Honerite No1 as it will take and top up with a few drops each time you use it. Your stone will be good as new and keep cutting freely for years before it needs resurfacing again.

Latest posts

Back