Norris Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huc522

Reaction score
First and foremost, hi everyone.

Is there anyone here that could identify these three Norris planes and give me an indicative sale value?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 1,598
Very tricky to value, infill prices fluctuate more than oil prices seem very low at the moment.

Then again Norris's are always more desirable but none have adjusters and the one on the left has a repair to rear handle but its gun metal so worth more. Original irons ? Good soles and mouths ?

Are you sure the one on the right is a Norris ? If it is, its unusual and worth more.

Best advice is if you want to sell, photograph well, 10 day listing and finish at the end of the month. Ignore the bandits who will give you a sob story about presents/ holidays and try to get you to end the listing early.

Maybe you can shed some light on the condition once you have a look. I actually thought that was just the timber and not a repair ??

Mr_P":5qbxvf0u said:
Ignore the bandits who will give you a sob story about presents/ holidays and try to get you to end the listing early.

Don't go spreading that advice. I have had some great buys that i needed urgently because of a relatives imminent birthday. :mrgreen:

Yeah me to! I've seen something that I want but don't want someone else to make an offer and finish the auction early so I'll make an offer. If the seller doesn't want to sell it at the price then they say No, if they do then we do a deal. Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't kow much about Norris, but I think that the blade in the benchplane is a Marples blade. Not original I would say.

Corneel":13j0vlg6 said:
I don't kow much about Norris, but I think that the blade in the benchplane is a Marples blade. Not original I would say.

It looks tapered too; hard to tell, since the wide aperture has resulted in shallow DOF.

BugBear

I don't like how they have done the front end on the infill smoother. Its standard practice to have the sole wider at the front end with the sides shorter. Guess it doesn't matter since it has the additional steel sole just not very aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

Were any of these actually made by Norris? I'm pretty sure that a name (or lack of) will affect the value.

MIGNAL":2uw5v4f0 said:
Were any of these actually made by Norris? I'm pretty sure that a name (or lack of) will affect the value.

The lever cap of the smoother says Norris.

BugBear

The smoother's front infill has (amongst Mr Fordyce's multiple stamps) an indistinct stamp that I think says ' Murray Manchester'. That may be a tool dealer. The only Manchester dealer I know of were (still in existence) Joseph Gleave, but Manchester is a big place, and it would be slightly surprising if there weren't other tool dealers down the years.

So - a Norris non-adjustable infill smoother sold by Murray of Manchester (perhaps), now having a probably non-original Marples cutting iron.

Edit to add - Seek, and thou shalt find - a-t-murray-of-manchester-t5409.html - which probably dates the plane to between 1900 and 1914, which seems very plausible.

Looking at the original photograph, the front end of the large shoulder plane also has Mr Fordyce's owner's stamp, and there's also an indistinct mark that may be a dealer's stamp. It may be the same Murray of Manchester as in the previous post, but I can't be sure.

Wonder if Murray made and supplied the small shoulder plane? Are there any marks on it anywhere that might give a clue?

Edit to add - I think the smoother is a Norris number 17.http://www.norrisplanes.com/norris-numb ... ing-plane/ and the large shoulder plane may be a Norris number 7 http://www.norrisplanes.com/norris-numb ... der-plane/

The smoother appears to be a 17, which as pointed out, it the more expensive version in the coffin smoother line. As to prices, Norris have gone way up, and way down, in value over the years, so I wouldn't hazard much of a guess. Top pricing goes to the plane with the original iron, cap iron, with matching numbers to the plane body, and with an adjuster and no repairs. http://www.jimbodetools.com/Sweet-Early ... 35105.html
Note that this is his asking price, no idea what it will actually sell for.

Since yours does not have the original iron, no adjuster, and a repair to the handle, it would be hard to come up with a value. Some 17's were cast, as shown in the catalog illustration ( the front of the plane is solid metal ) and some, like yours, appear to be dovetailed. BTW, love the lever screw, the little knob on the front is very cool. I just finished making one for a St. James Bay Tool kit plane I am working on, and my attempt to reproduce that shape missed by about a mile.

You might look here for info on values of the other planes. http://www.thebestthings.com/infill.htm He is a retailer, so expect that you would get much less than he is asking for if you sell it in a private sale. I understand he sells on consignment, and that may be an option to explore.

Back