• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Norris plane - how much!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus £14.80 postage, that’s the kick in the nuts! It’s been relisted now and I thought it might be a little bit more realistic? But no, same price and postage and two extra photos. I don’t know how much these planes go for but that does seem a huge amount of money!

The seller does not appear to be having much success with the listings. Out of the 266 closed auctions, only 27 were sold. Many of the closed auctions were relisted items at the same starting price as the previous listings.

I’ve certainly never seen a plane that long before – nothing even like it, anybody know what it could’ve been used for? Crossed, but why Adam?

Used by a cooper - barrel maker, the long plane was used to make the staves of the barrel, used upside down in a static position boards swept across the blade.

Beaten to it!!!

You drag or push the wood along the coopers plane with the plane fixed at an angle cutting edge up.
Beat me too it. I watched a cooper using one in a demonstration years ago. I find it amazing how people in days gone by refined and developed tools for specific jobs. When we look at modern tools they seem to be far more multipurpose.

I thought majority of the items are very high, these prices the seller not aiming for users.
If your in no hurry to sell, time is a friend, as likely eventually a collector happens along with very deep pockets.

Essentially the staves of a barrel are curved but I believe that the mating surfaces are flat and the long plane will allow a full length shaving to be taken.
Cheers Andy

Back