Norms Table Saw Blade Height Tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
there must be someone reading this that knows the name of norms measurer that he uses, it would seem that he sets the height that he wants the blade to be then just puts it over the blade and ajusts it until it just touches.

please help i want one.

Trend sell one but to be honest its easy to make your own :wink:

i have got the trend, i want one more accurate, idential to norms really

Don't Axminster do one ?
Stepped in height,so you just wind the blade up,no measuring needed.

Andrew

I don't specifically remember exactly what it looks like but its probably the Angle Wright A20 Height Gauge mentioned on the Woodbutcher's Norm's Tools pages here - although it seems to no longer be made by the original company. There is a new start-up here that seem to be saying they are going to be making the same device but there are no timescales or prices.

Any other height gauge would do as well but they're not normally that cheap - P J Tooling do a digital one for £47. Chronos do a vernier one for £39 (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Richard

I got two of these fitted on one rule one fitted upside down to the other to form a Z shape, very simple and cheap and very accurate.
7b_2.JPG

Used like this
140227189_20ddcd2666_m.jpg

Lord Nibbo":pkcfeeue said:
I got two of these fitted on one rule one fitted upside down to the other to form a Z shape, very simple and cheap and very accurate.
7b_2.JPG

Used like this
140227189_20ddcd2666_m.jpg

That is actually a very clever idea, I just might steal that one :)

Another good accurate possibility is ti use a engineers vernier height gauge. They are up on ebay for a low cost.
A sold one.

I would thinks that this is the most accurate way to do it.

Karl

some realy great ideas here guys, thanks for the time to add your thoughts, i may just have to try both those ideas.

if you are interested the coampany that made norms one did stop making them but they are going to start up again within the next 6 months so i will let uoiu know when i find out.

thanks

I don't trust these things to be accurate anyway - it is difficult to tell when you are measuring at TDC. Get the blade close enough with anything, sa ruler, trend thing if it is handy, anything with a scale, or just by eye, then use some scrap. Work up to height if it is the first cut, measuring the depth of cut on the scrap with some verniers or a ruler depending how accurate you need to be. If you are repeating a previous cut keep the final test scrap and use that to reset the blade - much simpler just to swing the blade through, which you can do with a bit of wood, to see when the blades begin to scrape at TDC.

I generally set up approximately, make a test cut then use a digital calliper to check either the depth on cut or the remaining thickness, whichever I'm looking for. Gets me there in 2 or 3 cuts and about 30 to 40 seconds, so why bother with a super duper electronic gizmo? I always have a cheap digital calliper in my pocket (think this one cost about £30)

Scrit

Using Lee Valley links, 'cause they are the ones I know, but I bet most or all are available elsewhere or could be rigged yourself.

Hi-Guage Square Attachment. Similar to above idea.

Set-up blocks. These can be made by yourself, and are *really* convient way to setup. I just feel for the top of the blade matching the height of the stack of blocks. This seems more toleratant of finding top dead center (I should mark my insert, hmm, that is a good idea!)

Height Guage For the seriously, um, detail oriented. A bit bothersome to find TDC, but see above idea...

I am of the "approximate then test" persuasion - any other way frankly seems pointless. If one is so concerned about a very high degree of accuracy, then it would be daft not to make a test cut and if one is going to make a test cut..

I really like lord nibbo's idea and will be borrowing it forthwith! :wink:

Back