Norm's Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating about starting to make Norm's deluxe Router Table and was wondering whether or not to make the top out of Kitchen worktop, seeing as I will have plenty of it soon, thats if the insurers get their finger out.

What are peoples views :?: has anyone used this before :?:

The only doubts I have are the T-slots for fence adjustment and the groove for the mitre fence, will they move easily enough against the chipboard.

All views, info and suggestions will be helpful and gratefully received.

TIA..............Martin

Martin.
Kitchen worktop is all i've used on 2 tables.Been fine so far.
Slots cut easy but i put some wax in mine after to make it even better.
Paul.J.

I bought the pre-made top from axminster and that is great - another option if you don't wish to make your own. Although I believe it's size is slightly different to Norm uses.

I have done this on norms table but i made sure cut edges were lipped or sealed so that i did not have problems with damp .The fence position is set by a simple clamps and wing nuts. Check that the surface is dead flat especially if second hand and best to use the 40 mm type also.

Just bought all the plywood for the carcase and drawers, £100 :shock: at this rate I won't be able to afford the incra positioning jig and wonder fence :cry:

ByronBlack":1b4cbe62 said:
Why not make a fence out of all the excess plywood!
Might have to Byron but the whole point of this project was to provide me with an accurate way of doing some fancy and decorative joints.

Martin

You can still do that with a regular fence, it's pretty easy to make up simple jigs that will allow you to cut dovetail and box joints. I was considering the wonder-fence but in the end, didn't think it would be worth it, i'm glad I saved the money.

I too made a copy of Norm's table and used breakfast bar worktop. It was brand new from a kitchen fit I did and has stood the test of time. My fence was made from 18mm MDF faced with laminate and seems to work very well. It is mounted on two bolts and wing nuts for adjustment and I have a Dakota ally channel for the jigs I use. Works well for me. :wink:

Thanks for the replies chaps, looks as though i'll be using worktop and maybe the Incra if I can save enough money, I will have to give up smoking AGAIN :wink:

Martin

I'm still trying to finish my router table a-la-norm. The top is melamine on top of 3/4 ply and edged with hardwood. Provides a great smooth surface and has seen months of (ab)use. The delay in finishing is the bit drawers, the runners from Buller will arrive monday so I can finish it.

Hi Martin

Lately, I posted a few posts about router table. Please have a look at them and maybe they will give you some ideas for your router table.

I made it with the thought that it will be "all in one"
Doweling
Mortising
Tenoning
Finger Box) joint
Jointing (glue line)
Oh yes, also a router table :)

I don't have the Incra but my precision is only to 0.1 mm (and between the lines of the caliper - 0.05 mm).

I did not see the Norm router table so I wander what is so special about his design.

Regards
niki

martlewis":1xl9nkg6 said:
I'm still trying to finish my router table a-la-norm. The top is melamine on top of 3/4 ply and edged with hardwood. Provides a great smooth surface and has seen months of (ab)use. The delay in finishing is the bit drawers, the runners from Buller will arrive monday so I can finish it.

Nice one mart. 'Buller' is that an ebay seller :?: I vaguely remember buying some Kitchen door handles from from someone with a name like Buller Ltd.

Martin

Niki":2s70txij said:
Hi Martin

Lately, I posted a few posts about router table. Please have a look at them and maybe they will give you some ideas for your router table.

I made it with the thought that it will be "all in one"
Doweling
Mortising
Tenoning
Finger Box) joint
Jointing (glue line)
Oh yes, also a router table :)

I don't have the Incra but my precision is only to 0.1 mm (and between the lines of the caliper - 0.05 mm).

I did not see the Norm router table so I wander what is so special about his design.

Regards
niki
Hi Niki, I did see your thread, very good, I do love your inventiveness and may even use some of your ideas.

The special thing for me about norms router table isnot the actual table but the cabinet which has a lot of storage drawers.

If you want tosee one Lord Nibbo made one and has some photos posted in the projects by forum members.

Keep the ideas coming.

Martin

motownmartin":306gmx39 said:
martlewis":306gmx39 said:

Nice one mart. 'Buller' is that an ebay seller :?: I vaguely remember buying some Kitchen door handles from from someone with a name like Buller Ltd.

Martin

Beller are indeed an ebay seller but they also have their own website if you google Buller Ltd.

martlewis":37bolnj3 said:
motownmartin":37bolnj3 said:
martlewis":37bolnj3 said:

Martin

Beller are indeed an ebay seller but they also have their own website if you google Buller Ltd.

I got it.

Which of the drawer runners did you get and are they OK :?: .

Also where did you get the drawer knobs :?:

Martin

If you do a search on Drawer Slide it should bring up the full extension slides. Think mine were 14" but it will list all the sizes depending how deep your cabinet is. Delivery is £8ish wether you get 1 pair or 8 pairs etc. I just received a box full today and it's heavy lol.

My bottom drawer is wide and deep enough to hold my benchtop jointer and is made of 3/4 ply all round. It's solid but weighs a ton without the jointer in. The slides work a treat. I also have a drawer in my shop of 3/4 ply, 5ft wide, 2ft deep and stuffed full of tools, the slides handle it no prob even fully extended.

Back