Norm's Router table dovetail jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Hartley

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just watched Norm making a writing desk. He used a dovetail jig on the router table which has four large handles. As a dovetail jig is high on my list of must have's and I've just finished my router table (Jessem top and Fence), this look like the sort of thing I'm looking for, looked very easy to use too.

I've searched the NYW site and these forums plus a bit of googling and I can't find any info on it. So..... Has anyone used one and where can I get one :)

I was planning on a Leigh jig and a second (cheaper) router for doing dovetails but this might be a better option for me.

Jeff,

I have not seen many NYW and don't know what Norm is using but take a look at this Axminster sell it, but its from the USA, here is the web site. I have one, but have not used it yet. :oops: The instructions show how to make a jig for use with a free router or for use on a router table. It might do what your after. 8)

Jeff,
At the risk of opening a great can of worms here akin to the great dado debate, can I ask you why you want a dovetail jig at all?

If you are setting up a production shop, fine, it will save you hours and help you to produce good joints quickly. But if you are a hobbyist lke most of the rest of us here, I can think of better ways of you spending your money.

I have had 2 dovetail jigs. The first was a Wolfcraft one which was dreadful by any standards. It was an attachment for a drill and it simply didn't work. I later bought the Leigh. This is superb in many respects. But I used it just a handfull of times, it took up space on the wall, there is a learning curve in using it, and as I used it so rarely I found myself having to read the manual every time, Which way up? To the left or the right? And if you a hobbyinst, making just one-offs, then you won't get the benefits of prodution speed either, once it is set up.

By all means buy one if you want, who am I to stop you, but there are other, much cheaper, nearly as fast, and MUCH QUIETER ways of dong it.

Cutting dovetails by hand is a skill, but not one that is very difficult to acquire. How about this as a scenario? Buy a good dovetail saw (Japanese or Gents as you prefer) then cut 14 6" boards a foot long. On Monday evening, dovetail two of them together and label them Monday. Do the same every night for a week and compare Sunday's to Monday's. Time yourself, too. I'll bet that Sunday's is ten times as good and took you half as long. And you'll have had fun too.

FWIW, I do mine on the bandsaw. It's a technique outlined by Mark Duginske, and I've made another couple of jigs to make it even easier and faster. There are limitations, but it's a good way to produce well-fitting through dovetails. I've written an article for GW about this, which I hope Nick will be publishing sometime soon.

OK I'll shut up now.
Cheers
Steve

I have to agree with every word Steve wrote - I wish I had learnt to cut DTs by hand rather than buying a jig as it is much more enjoyable, almost as quick and far more satisfying

Jeff, any luck finding it in this master list of all the tools His Normness has ever used? (and they call me an anorak...) Not for me to say whether you need one or not; plenty stuff to read already out there for you to make up your own mind.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Steve, I notice you keep this Leigh opinion quiet in the 'Rat vs. Leigh threads - coward. :p :lol:

Alf":2df0zztl said:
Steve, I notice you keep this Leigh opinion quiet in the 'Rat vs. Leigh threads

That's because I've not tried the Rat. My feeling is that the Leigh is more straightforward to use for DTs, whilst the Rat is more versatile. But I'm not really in a position to justify that, it's just my feeling.

Anyway, I sold the Leigh after a few years having used it half a dozen times.

I think I've just fallen into your cunningly-laid trap.

Cheers
Steve

I havent seen Norm at work for a few years now so don't really know what he was using but it sounds something like the Gifkins Dovetail jig. THough this may be a bit small was it something like this?

http://www.gifkins.com.au/index.html

I to have to agree with Steve, with just one thing to add.
That is dovetails looks harder than they are as it is one of the few joints that you cut one and use that as your template to cut the other side, so I you think about it this comes to one of the easier joints to make.
I main thing is to take your time in making out and cutting and enjoy :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and the help, I finally found the jig at http://www.katiejig.com/ just need to find a UK supplier now.

BTW, I have ALWAYS cut dovetails by hand, since I was at school back in the 70's but I have always hated doing them. I find nothing at all satisfying about the process and Norm's jig just looked so intriguing.

A must have for me I'm afraid :)

Jeff Hartley":26hhijo6 said:
...BTW, I have ALWAYS cut dovetails by hand, since I was at school back in the 70's but I have always hated doing them. I find nothing at all satisfying about the process and Norm's jig just looked so intriguing.

A must have for me I'm afraid :)
And that is one of the best reason for changing.

The work we do, for the most part, and the way we do it should be enjoyable. If there is a way to increase that joy, all the better.

Take care, Mike
who doesn't believe in "no pain, no gain."

The Katie jig looks a lot like my Gifkins jig: http://www.gifkins.com.au/

This is my only experience of working with a dovetail jig and whilst it isn't as flexible as hand cutting, it does what it does very well. It is easy to set up and, having adjusted it with the supplied paper shims to get the fit I wanted, it makes an absolutely perfect joint every time. I suspect that it is faster to set up that the more conventional Trend style jigs.

Variable spacings are possible using supplied spacers but I have only used these to increase spacings on box sides to allow for the saw cut when cutting the top off.

Also, I do like the way I can work with this one on the router table, although you wouldn't want to do that on a long board.

Colin

Jeff,

I am also impressed with the Katie Jig.
I emailed them to ask if they have a UK distributor.
They said no but they do ship to the UK by FedEx if youwant one.

Peter.

I am only on my second dovetailed project so I am not an expert. I have only ever cut by hand. The first project with the aid of this excellent device
http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... pc=C_106_3

The latest project has been done freehand kind of like Bob Cosman (I wish) but the results are, to those that matter, excellent.

2nd dovetail project
carcase.jpg

One of the nicest things about cutting them by hand is that look of amazement from non woodworking types when they discover that they can be made without the aid of machine. Followed by cries of "you are clever". I am not ashamed to say that such praise makes be feel good.

Andy

Latest posts

Back