Nordic birch built-in cupboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krysstel

Established Member
Reaction score
Previous to the side tables https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/side-tables-t84498.html I made these built-in cupboards and book shelves.
The carcases are 16mm birch veneered MDF whilst the rest is solid birch.

The faceframes have a small beading which necessitated masons mitre joints which I cut on my router table using a home made jig and a Wealden motar groove cutter. The frames are held together by dowels (for location), pocketholes screws and glue and attached to the carcases also with pocket hole screws.
The small drawers run on oak runners whilst the large ones run on traditional runners and kickers, also oak. I used heavy duty side mounted metal runners for the pull-out laptop shelf. None of the dovetails were cut by hand :shock:
The bookshelves and the laptop shelf are torsion box construction using 6mm veneered MDF over a honeycome of solid birch. The front edges of the bookshelves have a heavy under bevel.
Since the pictures were taken I have filled in up to the ceiling with a birch cornice.
The door handles are bronse.
Finished with mulitiple coats of Rustins Danish oil and polished with Liberon Black Bison wax. Inside the cupboards and drawers finished with dewaxed blond shellac.

Mark

built-in-2.jpg

P1010602.jpg

P1010632.jpg

[
P1010636.jpg

P1010726.jpg

P1010725.jpg

P1010661.jpg

P1010682.jpg

built-in-22.jpg

Back