Hall Cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my next project.
Hall Cupboard.png

I was hoping to make a hall table, but SWMBO wanted a cupboard. The sides, top, doors and drawer front will be veneered MDF. I planed to use 18mm Birch plywood but the only local wood yard that could cut it has a 2 week waiting time, so B&Q got my money. The doors, drawer and top will be veneered with this flame mahoganey
Flame veneer.jpg
. The edges of these parts will be cross banded with Satinwood. For the sides and backing for the doors I managed to get four leafs 6' x 18" of nicely figured sapele from a local firm that makes coffins at only £6.50 a leaf :)

The only problem I have is that the last time I used Mahogany I became sensitive to it. However, I'm hoping with improved dust management, using rubber gloves and an Air mask I will get away with it. :roll: I will let you know how I get on.

Attachments

• Hall Cupboard.png
    Hall Cupboard.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Flame veneer.jpg
    Flame veneer.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,627
Well I got started by rough cutting the mahogany. Looked a picture in a hooded boiler suit, rubber gloves and an Airshield. With all this on and the filter on my chip extractor I'm hoping to be safe.
Saw & Extractor.JPG

Before starting on the Mahogany I made this veneer press.
Veneer Press.JPG

Mahogany rough cut ready to be planed. Solid wood is used to edge the MDF prior to veneering and for the drawer front, the two reeded columns and front of the frame at the top and bottom of the drawer. I'm not doing any more today so any dust that's in the air will settle. If I'm not itching tomorrow, I'll know I have done.

Attachments

• Saw & Extractor.JPG
    Saw & Extractor.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,489
  • Veneer Press.JPG
    Veneer Press.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,489
  • Mahogany Cut.JPG
    Mahogany Cut.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,488
i look forwards to this, im extremely envious of your workshop set up
what do you design your projects in? im getting to the stage where i need to start using a computer to aid im my design stages?

cheers
TT

Thanks for the compliment TT, my workshop is only a smaller than average single garage. The key is to have everything on wheels. Working in it is a bit like those game we had as kids where you have to slide tile around in a frame to make a picture. I design all my stuff on Sketchup its free and very easy to use and if you get stuck there is always someone on here to help you.

8squared asked my time scale. I have to mix it with work so it will be finished when it is. However I'm a bit like a dog with a bone so all my spare time will be spent on it. I was hoping to get a bit more done today, but as you will see from the time I'm making this post its 3:30am and I've just got in from work. Might get some bits planed up be for work this evening with luck.

Woke up this morning and I’m not itching, skin not blistering, no weeping sores inside my nostrils so I think I’m fixed my dust problem. :p
Did a little more today, planed the wood to thickness for the doors and top.

Also cut the MDF to size for the top and sides. Then discovered I had cut the top out of the piece of MDF that was for the doors and the bit that is left is too small to get the out of.
Popped down to the local Wickes for some more MDF. They only had 8 x 4 sheets. But what they did have was this 2 x 4 x 18mm hardwood ply.
18mm Ply.JPG

Thought I would give you a bit of a look at my workshop.
All my machinery is on wheels, other than the lath and stored out of the way at one end.
Machinery.JPG

Along one side I have all my small machines, router table. Sliding chop saw, mortiser and disc sander. Each one can be pulled out when needed.
mortise machine.JPG
Sliding Chop saw.JPG
Router table.JPG

My work bench is under the window. And yes it is normally more messy than it is now, but it works for me most of the time

Attachments

• 18mm Ply.JPG
    18mm Ply.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Machinery.JPG
    Machinery.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,337
  • mortise machine.JPG
    mortise machine.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Sliding Chop saw.JPG
    Sliding Chop saw.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Router table.JPG
    Router table.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Work bench.JPG
    Work bench.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 1,336
Got a bit more done. Had a re-think about the design. The original design was for a quite deep drawer, 150mm. When I started making the frame that will hold the drawer it became all too obvious that it was too deep and the whole thing would look like a rather posh kitchen unit! I reduced the depth of the drawer to 100mm. The columns at each side I changed. They were to be forward facing and reeded. Now they are angled at 45 degrees with just a simple inlayed rectangle made from 2mm boxwood square. I have also dropped the idea of putting satin wood cross banding round the doors and drawer fronts. On these now will use the 2mm boxwood square around the edges.
It should look something like this.
Hall Cupboard Mk2 (2).jpg

The drawer frame is now all glued up in it's reduced size.
Drawer Frame.JPG

If you have had a look at my post in General Woodwork, you will see I had a problem with the veneer. I will have to get it sorted before I start on the expensive fame veneers on the doors, drawer and top.

Attachments

• Hall Cupboard Mk2 (2).jpg
    Hall Cupboard Mk2 (2).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Drawer Frame.JPG
    Drawer Frame.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,100

Latest posts

Back