Non wood turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been given a couple of antlers. I know people carve them and do scrimshawe in bone. Has anyone here ever turned bone or antlers? If so do they use special tools or anything?

Pete

Be prepared for the aroma if you try turning it, a little pungent I believe.

CHJ":3q0419ta said:
Be prepared for the aroma if you try turning it, a little pungent I believe.

Looking it up on the net it has been likened to 'a fire in a barbers shop.' or as one sensitive soul put it, 'standing on the roof of a crematorium.'
My wife is a dental nurse and says and I quote. " what's the matter with you men, I get that every day, you get used to it!"

Just wondering whether I need to be careful of the dust or the tools I use. Could make some nice liitle ornaments or stick handles with the ones I have been given and fancy giving it a go. Suspect I;ll have to wait for my chuck to arrive. Don't think trying to do it between centres would be wise!!!
Pete

Basically it stinks when heated or burnt and the dust is highly toxic. It's not like Horn, but very very similar to thin bone with the softer matrix (marrow) inside.

It can be (and is) carved very nicely and no doubt can also be turned, but be very aware of splintering, sharp edges and take great care with the dust at all times.

yes be carefull fella, like ploget says is highly toxic, a friend of mine made knives up scotland and made handles from the stuff, Only once though,

Latest posts

Back