Non sliding mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Derr

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody use a non sliding mitre saw, such as the Makita MLS100?

https://www.howetools.co.uk/makita-mls1 ... 55mm-blade

I am disappointed with the accuracy on my Bosch SCMS and have come to the conclusion that due to the flex in the rails etc it will never be as accurate as I would like (or thought it would be!) a non slider, seeing as everything is fixed should be inherently more stable and accurate - could anybody confirm this?

Most SCMS can be locked in place to do more accurate cuts on smaller stock, have you tried this?

I bought the Makita LS1040 about a month ago. It's been excellent so far, far more accurate than my previous mitre saw (Metabo KGS245). Removing the sliding option certainly seems to increase precision...I always try to cut out the bells and whistles on entry-level kit.
I swapped the blade for a Freud 60T (which adds a fair whack to the price, unfortunately) and set up an area where it can be bolted down - it's got quite a kick for a small machine!

I have a Dewalt non-sliding saw - probably 15 years old now; it was dead accurate out of the box, and has only required one tiny adjustment since to keep it bob on. I bought it because at the time it was a couple of hundred quid cheaper than its sliding cousin, and it seemed likely to do whatever i'd need.

I have often considered 'upgrading' to a scms, but have seen lots of comments on forums about them having disappointing levels of accuracy, so have always shied away from doing so.

I'm 90% certain the small amount of slop in my ancient Elektra Beckum KGS 300 is down to wear in the bronze bushes for the rails. Locked-off it's pretty dashed wonderful. If I slide the saw, I have to be very careful to keep consistent pressure side-to-side. The wear came because one previous owner (there have been several) allowed the rails to rust quite badly. It's cleaned now but there must have been an abrasive effect.

Never owned a non-sliding one, but to a novice (me!) the Makita LS1040 looks to be a better bet for general woodwork, as the fences are taller than those on the MLS 100, and it's not hugely more expensive. Both are a good price compared to a good SCMS, and if Myfordman says you get accuracy, then you do!

The problem is that there aren't many non sliders now to choose from now. I was going to go with a non slider, but having looked at the non sliders avaliable, they had just as much slop. The reviews for the Mikita MLS100 seemed pretty good online, but having seen it in person, ..very poor.

I think your best bet would be a good second hand one.

Back