noisy thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I got a big old 18" p/t a good while ago and have been messing around with various bits like putting a vfd on the feed and then making a extractor hood. The problem I've got is when I switch the extractor on their is a really loud hum comeing from the cutter head area. The extractor is quite a powerful thing and moves quite abit of air, it is connected via 4" flexi. All I can think of is the air being sucked is being buffeted by the blades of the head? Has anyone experienced this before.
Mark

When you start the planer my first thought was somethings rubbing against the end of the block/end of cutter knife. Our planers got tersa blades and a slight wiggle of the timber going through cause the blade to move a fraction and rub against the metal hood. Not sure what causes the increase in noise when the extractors going but I seem to remember a previous planer doing the same

Our old planer was quite quiet until the extraction was switched on, then it sounded like a lancaster bomber, it was due to resonance in the ply chip box.

4" hose on a 18" thicknesser no where near big enough 6" min and it might help the noise as well!

I see what you mean!
Well first of all I don't think you have anything to worry about (except perhaps hearing damage).
All noise is due to vibrating air and the DX is going to carry that initial vibrating air into a pipe, making the air in that pipe vibrate too. You have invented the P/T Organ!
S

My P/T is the noisiest machine in the workshop, but when I switch it off and it's winding down it sounds just like the air raid "all clear" noise!

I had the same problem with my Multico 12" PT, when planing and using the extractor it is ok but when thicknessing it made a right horrible noise.

I have to wind the front table down about 1/2" which sorts it out. I made both extractor hoods and had to experiment untill the noise became bearable.

Merlin

No idea about the p/t but I watched your workshop tour vid and am very impressed. Great sized shop and some great gear. Very jealous mate

Mark

I think your hood fits to well, it needs to leak more air around the edges, the cutter block should throw the shavings out anyway, the hood just needs to collect them and guide them into the air stream for the extractor to take away.
That way you are not drawing air round the cutter block.
My ideas only and be be total compost.

Back