nice one david

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I just got one of your books from the library Mr Charlesworth, and theres some good stuff in it.
I think the krenov type doweling jig is bloody superb, I will use that next time I laminate up a chair seat as it will save a lot of time. I generally use a marking guage to scribe a line off of the face side's on either plank, then square across both planks together for the peg position's. Then use a brace and bit. But with this you can mark out with the jig and use it for drilling in the same process, less acumulated error. Nice one, just 2 nails as a temp fix. Should work a treat with a bahco type bit where theres a loy of surface area on the outside of the bit. (I'd be going into side grain on both board's) It could even be modified to do holes at compound angles eg a row of spindle socket's in a plank chair seat to do a matching set of identical chairs.

PS a nice book, David. Can I ask how you did the roof of your workshops? was there any tie beam's in there originally? and how did you make the new roof? (nosy arent I :lol: )

Cheers Jonathan :D

Jonathan,

Delighted you find the books useful.

JK type dowelling jig is VG as is the clever router modification by my friends Sawle & Vaughan.

The house and workshop were virtually totally ruined when I bought them in 1975. Too much work for me, so I used architect and a couple of local building firms. Fraid I can't tell you much about those roof trusses....

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Hi Philly

I have 3 of these books already (thanks for the autograph David!)
so I must have missed the dowel bit !

Better re-read them!

Andy

p.s. Are you going to the Ally Pally and do they serve Magners?

Philly

Hope to make it on Saturday - will PM you
or is there a Forum meeting?

David C":1ru916qa said:
The house and workshop were virtually totally ruined when I bought them in 1975. Too much work for me, so I used architect and a couple of local building firms. Fraid I can't tell you much about those roof trusses....

I was just curious as to how they solved the problem of having no tying beams only the smaller collar ties. But then I thought, I expect those stone (granite??) wall's are several feet thick, which generally is enough weight to prevent the wall's spreading under roof loadings anyway. That truss arrangemet on a framed building would cause it to bulge without restraining tying beams. Am I right in thinking there was a first floor at one time? It looks a nice space though even from the little photos in the book, your architect did a good job.

PS I also have been using the ruler trick (it sounds like a Tommy Cooper type gag until you know what it really is!! :lol: ) from when I first heard it on this forum several months back, and I can tell you it has already improved my blade conditioning performance noticeably; and what a time saver as well. I havent got a 30x microscope at the mo, but rather a 10x loupe eye piece. Its very absorbing, that micro world of mini mechanic's and that, I just want to get a nice balance between acuracy and spontanaity as well.

Thanks for taking the time to write your books, great stuff
Cheers Jonathan :D

Andy
We normally meet up at 12-o-clock at the Chestnut Finishing Products stand.
You'll probably see me-I'll be the one pushing Waka around in his new wheelchair :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

David do you know when your 5th DVD is going to be released ?

cheers,
Jez

David, your 5th dvd? What is the subject matter, please?

Thanks for the autographed books, they finally arrived in Calagry via my sister's house in London.

cheers,

Gordon

gcpt - the subject matter is Examination of Precision Chisel work

mr spanton":3sq2usx9 said:

But isn't that how he makes his living? :roll:

mr spanton":3sq2usx9 said:
I just got one of your books from the library Mr Charlesworth, and theres some good stuff in it.

I think that the idea is that you actually buy the books, thus enabling the esteemed Mr C to eat! :wink:

Cheers
Brad

Brad,

My main income comes from teaching private students, small groups, four on the longer courses and five on the short courses.

The writing and DVD making are an extra 'string', which relate closely to my long time teaching experience.

There is a wonderful organization called PLR who estimate library borrowings, which then generate a miniscule income for the author!

David

It is unfortunate that writing technical articles which are then published as collections, is not a great earner.

The royalties on the "books" are derisory. I think the publishers make some money if the books sell in sufficient numbers, but they take the risk on the publishing costs.

The only way I can see of making an income from writing is to write best sellers, like Barbra Cartland! Not expecting this any time soon.....

David

Brad Naylor":1x1404jf said:
mr spanton":1x1404jf said:

But isn't that how he makes his living? :roll:

mr spanton":1x1404jf said:

I think that the idea is that you actually buy the books, thus enabling the esteemed Mr C to eat! :wink:

Cheers
Brad

Whats rattled your potty Brad :lol: :wink: ??
My comments were a sincere "thankyou" to Mr Charlesworth as his ideas have made me think about woodworking more thoroughly than I have before, I dont see any problem with that? I never really even heard of Mr Charlesworth until I joined this forum, and have been curious about his way of working and thought I'd borrow a library book of his on the off chance to just have a look. As a result of that I might just get a dvd. Libraries are great things as more than one person can study the same book, not everyone has the wherewithal to buy every title going. And even when you have folk who buy lotsa books, they often as not end up with a lot of unread pages gathering dust on their private shelfs and the publishing house did OK out of it too.
Cheers Mr S :D

Back