Nice and easy - Picnic table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
Our 4 year old £20 picnic table has started to rot and it's time for a new one. I fancied a quick and easy project.
13092007068.jpg

I took my tape measure to the pub on wednesday night and measured up one of thier large ones to get my dimensions worked out.

I've got a bunch of 145mm wide Ipé hardwood decking left over from when I did my gate - I intentionally ordered way more than I needed, planning to use it later for making some garden furniture.
13092007067.jpg

I managed to catch a few hours in the workshop on Thursday afternoon, and got just about everything cut to length. I also dragged my table saw out into the sunshine and ripped a couple of bits to make the seat/table stiffeners.
13092007069.jpg

After I manaeged to get most of the pieces cut to length on Thursday, I
sadly had to stop work for the day and go back to the wonderful world of IT. - Here's how things were looking when i stopped.
13092007071_001.jpg

Today I managed to get back to work - The wood was a bargain priced deal from SL Hardwoods - It's been weathered a bit, which means I have to clean it up, and unfortunately pressure washing doesn't do enough, so I've been sanding it, first with 60grit on a belt sander, then with 60, 120 and 180 grit on a random orbit sander. I clamped some blocks to my worktop to hold the pieces in place whilst sanding.
15092007072.jpg

Here's the boards after sanding to 180 grit. I chose the 5 on the right for the tabletop, and the other 4 as the seats.
15092007074.jpg

I added some chamfers to the seat/table stiffners using a bearing guided bit on my rather sad looking router table.
15092007075.jpg

Because Ipé is so dense, it's not very good at absorbing glues - Althoug I'm going to glue anyway, I'm using plenty of 45mm stainless steel screws throughout to make sure that if the glue fails it won't matter. I clamped a fence on my drill press to ensure that all the holes I drilled woudl be dead-centre, and then used a 3/8th forstner bit to counterbore into the seat & table stiffners. I then drilled them through with a 4mm bit to allow the screws to pass.
15092007076.jpg

Here's one of the first of the seats being assembled.
15092007077.jpg

I wanted to copy the curved edges that the pub's picnic table had, so I knocked together a very quick circle cutting jig - I drilled and countersunk a couple of holes, and screwed a spare piece of 2" wide plywood to the router's base. I screwed a scrap bit of 6mm ply to the first bit of ply, and hey presto... I used some of that non-slip rubber matting to help clamp it in place, and rounded off the seats and table top.
15092007080.jpg

I rounded over the newly routered edges, and then SWMBO called me away for dinner.. Tabletop and 2 seats completed.
15092007081.jpg

I should get the legs bolted together tomorrow, and a finish applied.

Like it :D - my 4-year-old £19.99 table is starting to creak a little,so may be due for a similar project (or I'm due a diet :wink: )
The curves definitely make it look better than the original.

Andrew

That is very nice, and I have need of one next year, to be made of green oak...

Could you give us a few dimensions, as my pub has very 'orrible tables...

The radiused ends make all the difference. Like Smudger, I'm hoping you've kept your plans - I imagine they could be very popular.

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Let's hope the weather permits it to be used before the onset of the winter...errrr... drought.

:)

Gill

By popular demand.. here goes... - Everything is the default width of the decking board 145mm wide unless otherwise stated.

Here's my list...

12 x M8 Carriage Bolt
12 x M6 Carriage Bolt.
Bunch of 2" Panhead screws.

Main Table
9 x 1680mm - Seat/Table Slats
2 x 1550mm - Seat support rails - Mitre ends to 22.5 degrees for decoration.
2 x 720mm - Table support side rails - Mitre ends to 22.5 degrees for decoration.
4 x 925mm - Legs - Mitre ends to 30 degrees

Stiffeners
Each set of stiffeners has two vertical and one horizontal one - I set the table saw to 37.5mm and ripped both edges off a decking board. - The remaining bit becomes the horizontal stiffener.

2 of 720mm x 37.5mm - Vertical tabletop stiffeners - Mitre ends to 22.5
1 of 720mm x 65mm - Horizontal tabletop stiffener.
4 of 265mm x 37.5mm - Vertical seat stiffener - Mitre ends to 22.5
2 of 265mm x 65mm - Horizontal seat stiffener

The remaining bits I've cut are the triangulation/rigidity support bits which live under the table between the legs - I measured these up on my table today after I'd bolted it together and cut to the lengths accordingly. These might not be generic.
1 x 1320mm - Stretcher which connects bottom legs together
2 x 725mm - Diagonal support struts.

When assembled, this gives...

Table LxW = 1680 x 765mm (5 planks wide x 145mm, plus 4x10mm gap between the planks)
Seats LxW = 1680 x 300mm (2 planks wide x 145mm, plus 1x10mm gap)
Seat Height = 470mm
Table Height = 725mm

And now.. on with the build...

Happy that I'd got the top and seats right yesterday, I started today by gluing them up properly - Here's a shot of them from the back after the glue went under the stiffeners...

16092007083.jpg

Next I moved onto the sides - I lined things up on the bench so that I could get everything parallel and centered. You want around 285mm from the top of the table support to the top of the seat support - I used a couple of blocks of wood to align the two supports and them measured the positions to get the legs in place. I marked lines 1" in from the edges of the boards so that I could get my bolt holes in the right place and then drilled through with a 4mm drill to make marks the board underneath.

16092007084.jpg

I used a 5/8th forstner to cut shallow recesses for the washers and bolts to sit in - I wanted to slightly reduce the height of the bolts to avoid knee-scraping problems with the bolt heads. The plan was perfect, but the execution was flawed... I got distracted by lunch being ready just before I was about to begin, rushed.. and ended up I cut my recesses in the legs rather than the supports... D'oh D'oh D'oh

Because of my cock-up, the bolt heads would be visible on the outside of the table instead of the inside - Actually, I don't think that looks too bad - Fortunately, the curved ends on the carriage bolts are big enough to hide my mistake... I'll cut some recesses in the right place tomorrow.

16092007086.jpg

Once I'd got the sides bolted together I just had to see how it fitted together. I carried the sides out into the sun and propped them up with a bit of scrap.. I clamped the seats on, and then added the top. (This thing is seriously heavy... The top alone is about as much as I can carry)

16092007087.jpg

Whilst it was all clamped up, I drilled all the 6mm holes for the M6 bolts which hold the seats and tabletop to the sides (6 holes per side) - I tightened bolts into each hole to hold everything in position for measuring up the remining bits of wood.
16092007089.jpg

There was 13200mm between my sides.
16092007088_001.jpg

Next, I ripped a piece in half to make the diagonal support struts - It took me a rather a lot of trial and considerably more error to work out the length and shape of the diagonal bits. The idea is that they will sit within the slots on the stretcher to make a ^ which meets at the tabletop stiffener. (I'll take a photo when it's done to clarify that) - Here's the last 3 bits of wood..
16092007091.jpg

All that remains for me to do now is some chamfering on the sides and today's new bits of wood... and some finishing. What would people recommend for finishing? Decking Oil (since they're decking boards) or Teak Oil.

Beautiful Fecn

I love when you show the WIP pictures....Complete furniture I can see in the shops...

And I thought that my garage is small.... :)

Regards
niki

looking very nice. quite inspired to have a go myself... but the Scottish summer is now long since over. perhaps next year. :roll:

Fecn":1q0szwmc said:
There was 13200mm between my sides.
that's either a typo or a BIIIIIIIIIG table :lol:

Yesterday evening, I managed to find a few hours to give the tabletop and seats a couple of coats of Liberon Decking Oil - It's the same stuff I used on the gate, and I liked the finish on there so I figured it would be right for the this picnic table too. The procedure is to apply a coat, leave it for 15-30 mins to soak in, apply a second coat and soak in again, and then wipe off. I find that giving a second wipe with the same rag a few hours later improves the finish a bit more.
17092007093.jpg

I managed to snatch a few hours in the middle of the day today, so I finsihed off the legs. I rounded over the feet and then chamfered them to prevent them tearing out when the table inevitibly gets dragged over concrete. I also chamfered anything else where I thought it made sense.
18092007097.jpg

This evening, I managed to get it all screwed and bolted together on the patio. It's a massive improvement on the old one.
18092007099.jpg

18092007100.jpg

P9180101.JPG

Now that I've got this project completed, I hereby declare the end of British Summer.

Thanks to everyone for all the nice things you've said. I hope that you find my cutting list and WIP pics helpful.

So stylish! I must make one of those too before next summer.

=D>

Gill

Latest posts

Back