Newbie's Learning Curve

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphidius

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've had this saw for a while now and I've only just got round to have a first go at slicing into some scrap MDF (the devils board). I must say I'm finding it a little more difficult to cut true lines than I first envisaged....here is my first meagerly effort, dont laugh I already know its rubbish, but it is a first attempt......hopefully it gets better in time....I didn't really want to post but I suppose I must show the bad as well as perhaps something more eye pleasing in the future...

Attachments

• Anchor2.jpg
    Anchor2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,352
=D>
Looks more than OK to my admittedly unexperienced eye, and you seem to be dealing with circles a lot better than me.

Posting pics of early stuff is a good way of getting hints and tips to help improve ones technique and should be encouraged more - we all begin at zero experience! Its also a good record for yourself to be able to look back at old posts and see your work and skills progress over time.

Thanks nev for your kind comments....a lot of truth in there.
I was just posting I suppose for those exact comments.
I think I'm a little better at turning a corner than I am in a straight line for some strange reason, I thought it would be the opposite way about.
Anyhow the most important step was to make a start and whilst I wont be getting into intarsia anytime in the immediate future, cutting reliefs for my other projects as embellishments will satisfy me for now, if I can keep to the lines...more practice needed methinks...
Regards
C

Straight lines are always more difficult than curves on a scroll saw. It's compounded by the fact that the blade will try to cut at an angle due to the burr on the blade made during production, and that angle isn't always the same. You do get used to it eventually, honest! Anyway, there's not actually anything wrong with your anchor, it's just that every scroller is his/her own worst critic. Show it to someone else and they will tell you how good it is, though, with some of my first attempts, I think they were just being kind.

That is really very good for a first attempt. As Martin says straight lines are always difficult especially until you find a speed and ''feed rate'' that suits you. There is no way I could have posted my first attempts they were that bad. Only good for firewood.

Charley

Agree with the others - it IS a very good for a 1st attempt - cutting a straight line IS more difficult that cutting a curve (though S M O O T H curves are quite a challenge at first too).

Well done mate.

AES

I'd be pretty pleased with myself if that was my first attempt!

Keep making new pieces and you'll soon be an expert.

Also, do show off your work to others. I am sure you will get nothing but praise and it all helps to build your confidence to try other things.

Phill

Back