Newbie with Front Door Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisDIYDisaster

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a keen DIYer in Hampshire. I'm generally building/fixing something or other.

Something that has stumped me lately is what to re-coat my front door with. I did it many years ago but can't for the life of me remember what I used (memory failure with age!).

You can see that it gets worse lower down the door and the weather bar at the bottom looks like its a different wood.

I'd prefer not to take it back to bare wood if possible.

Any suggestions greatfully received!

IMG_8335.jpg
IMG_8336.jpg
IMG_8337.jpg

I don’t think you need to go back to bare wood unless you’re changing the colour. Just remove the top coat of what looks like varnish or varnish/stain . A good quality yacht or exterior varnish should have it back to its former glory . If your concerned with the damage towards the bottom of the door ( not surprised as the bottom takes a lot of damage from feet and bringing large items in and out) then look for a similar varnish/ stain to match then just blend it in ..maybe try a small area 1st before going for the full coats ..hope this helps

Looks suspiciously like Sikkens to me, if that rings any bells?

Latest posts

Back