Newbie saying hi.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehawk

Reaction score
Hi just joined the site.

I've got into putting my own little spare room workshop together after deciding to build my own kitchen from scratch instead of just installing readymade cabinets. Have made a wall and corner cabinet but stalled a bit as winter set in. Kind of putting off doing the door on the wall cabinet as i'm in two minds over hinges, traditional hinge or modern kitchen cabinet hinge? part of me says the modern hitech hinge is a good clever device and when selling my house on wont put buyers off. Another part of me says the older traditional type of hinge is the proper cabinet maker way to set a door in to a cabinet. So any advice that might stop my procrastinating over this quandary is welcome.

Ive also got more and more interested in using hand tools properly and have a growing collection of older tools im picking up from car boots sales. Last weekend picked up a pair of nice old Stanley No4 and a No4,1/2 planes. The week before a No5. Im keeping an eye out for a hand router-plane now, nice and quiet compared with my electric beast.

Im making do with an old computer desk with a board screwed down on it as a bench but im thinking of making my own bench with a load of wood ive built up in my shed over the years. Im thinking fence posts for the legs and laminate some boards for the top. It will make completing kitchen cabinets so much easier.

Have looked around the forums and looks like a great place for advice.

Hi Boozehawk,

Welcome to the forum.

Boozehawk":l4sjfphd said:
Ive also got more and more interested in using hand tools properly and have a growing collection of older tools im picking up from car boots sales. Last weekend picked up a pair of nice old Stanley No4 and a No4,1/2 planes. The week before a No5. Im keeping an eye out for a hand router-plane now, nice and quiet compared with my electric beast.

There are lots of members who will help you fulfill your hand tool dreams. :lol:

Neil

Welcome to the forum. :)

I refitted my kitchen a while back and decided that kitchen cupboard doors and kitchen drawers would really be better off with modern kitchen hardware. In hindsight I'm sure it was the right decision.

Hi Boozehawk,

Welcome, a good site and good info. My best advice on hand tools is, have them spayed or neutered, they will reproduce when you aren't looking. Jamey

Newbie_Neil":31e4puwg said:
Hi Boozehawk,

Welcome to the forum.

Boozehawk":31e4puwg said:

There are lots of members who will help you fulfill your hand tool dreams. :lol:

Neil

cheers your links were handy.

RogerP":3ruff2zz said:
Welcome to the forum. :)

I refitted my kitchen a while back and decided that kitchen cupboard doors and kitchen drawers would really be better off with modern kitchen hardware. In hindsight I'm sure it was the right decision.

I probably will go modern. im doing a book case with glazed doors and will use trad for that.

Back