Newbie nightmare....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingAl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, unsure as to why I'm writing this, just having a vent I suppose!.

Santa got me an Axminster scroll saw, all in very good condition to my untrained & inexperienced eyeballs. 1st opportunity to use it arose last night so with great trepidation & excitement I ventured into the man cave to turn on my firmly secured saw. What a noise!, thought the roof was coming down then BANG....bottom arm where the blade is attached snapped, about 1/2 an inch back from the clamp itself. Sheared straight through. Thought the blade had snapped as I assumed that would be the weakest link but alas, there must have been a hairline crack I suppose. Happened in about 2 seconds flat. Devastated isn't the word.

Ah well, I suppose I have to wait til the new year to see if I can get a new arm. It's not a particularly old model, bright yellow job so hopefully Axi may be able to help me out. If not then it's a new one, it will not defeat me!!!.

Vent over!.

I can just imagine how you feel. All souped up, raring to go and then bang and you gaze in wonder at your new saw and think. What the hell went wrong. Sadly things do go wrong with the cheaper saws but the good news is that Axy will change the part. They may say there will be a six week delay while they order the part from the far east or lady luck may be on your side and they will have the part in stock. The other option is for them to replace the saw with another one but they may want yours back first. I have had many dealings with Axy and their service is probably the best I have come across so don't lose heart, there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers Geoff, dealt with them once before when my lathe conked out & with their outstanding help it was back up & running within a week. I know there's light at the end of the tunnel but already my patience is wearing thin!!.

Man what a disappointment, and a bit unusual. I have a small workshop with almost all machines are from Axminster, and have experienced very few problems and certainly not a failure straight out of the box. The good part of this sad event is that in my opinion Axminster have a superb Customer Service Department and I'm sure they will rectify this problem for you. Tough break sorry for you. .

Thanks Keith, luckily I've got my Axi lathe which runs like a dream so at least I can continue with a few projects until the saw is rectified. On the plus side, the longer I wait the more advice & info I can learn from!.

What a blow, I can imagine your frustration, especially as it was a Christmas toy, but as Geoff said, the good news is Axminster, who I am sure will ride to your rescue, well you know what I mean. :wink:

Hope you are sorted soon.

Take care.

Chris R.

Well, quick update. Just phoned Axi, amazingly helpful guy, they're in stock & it's winging it's way towards me, will be here by thurs!. Hooray!!!.

There you see !! thats what I hate about Axi. they don't give you enough time to be angry . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck when you are up and running again .

Phew! Not that I have much of a reputation, but I'm glad they stepped up! My lathe is a JWL1642 and its a great machine. Look forward to you scrolling soon.

Thanks Keith, can't wait!. Not sure if anybody is interested as I know most of you guys get your blades elsewhere but Axi have a deal on, Swiss make that I can't remember, 72 pinless ones, different varieties, should be £19 but down to £13 inc vat. I'm not affiliated & I don't know if they're any good, I didn't go for them as my machine doesn't take pinless ones. I got a selection of 3 different blades alongside the replacement part as I'm VERY new to this game I thought I would give them a go until I get the hang of it, I know what the old adage is, Buy cheap but twice but hey, I'm learning!.

Hi Al, sorry to hear about your plight but all is well now it seems, hope to be seeing something from the cave thursday night then eh!!!

welcome to the dark side, Al. sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. Which saw is it? You say it doesn't take pinless blades, but whichever saw it is, I am sure the axminster clamps will fit or be adaptable so you can use pinless blades.

Sorry to hear of your problem,which it appears should be sorted soon =D> and a very warm welcome to the group.I am sureyou will enjoy the company,and pick up hints and tips on this fabulous hobby ( for me ) for others a good way to earn a little money.To get paid for something you enjoy doing it does not get any better. :roll:

Bryan

Hey fellas, thanks for all of your support, it's very much appreciated!. Well, I ordered the new rocker arm & blades yesterday afternoon fully expecting them to appear at the end of the week but hey presto, they turned up this morning!!!!, absolutely amazing, once again I cannot get over the outstanding service provided by Axminster, truly amazing!. I'm trying to get it all put back together now before I head off to work tonight.

Thanks all, definite happy ending is approaching I feel!!.

+1
Same as you, ordered some clamps from Axminster, yesterday afternoon, I know normal delivery from them is next day, but as it was between Christmas and New Year, I was not expecting them to have staff working to dispatch orders. But received this morning approx 11.30.
Full marks Axminster. =D>

Happy New Year All.

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back