Newbie Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyC Longwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My first posting on this forum, please excuse if I make any mistakes!

I have just purchased a new table saw and planner/thicknesser and have a list of projects I want to start work on, I firstly think I could do with a good guide/book on the various aspects of using and setting up my table saw.

Can anyone suggest a good book?

Cheers in advance. :D

Hello Andy

Welcome, I have a couple of books Mastering Woodworking Machines and Tablesaw Methods of work, which aren't to bad got them from local discount book store for a couple of pounds each, however I do think most books on these subjects can tend to repeat themselves. I also use the Fine Woodworking website http://www.finewoodworking.com/index.aspx?
I find it a good interesting resourse with lots of information, articles and videos. you can have a look round the site as a guest but there is a yearly subscription to get full access
Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. :)

There appear to be plenty of books covering the subject of table saws but, very few on the planer/thicknesser. There's only one that I'm aware of and that is Jointer & Planer Fundamentals: The Complete Guide.

It does have some good information and will probably tell you most things you need to know. Being an American title, you'll need to understand that they were refer to our surface planers as "jointers" and thicknessers as "planers"... :roll: I'd also advise you look at a few videos on eBay, covering the method of operation.

Remember NEVER to place your hands directly over the cutter block and ALWAYS keep the bridge guard in place over the timber when planing a face. Also, keep your hands clear of the thicknesser so they don't get caught by the feed rollers and never look directly in to the machine while it's running. :)

Thank you Olly & Dave for the advice and safety tips,

I was a little surprised that after nearly 200 viewings of my posting that only 2 replys where fore coming, what's up can everyone else not remember what it was like to start out in wood working!

Anyway, I decided to purchase the following books through Amazon but I will definitely check out the alternatives you have both suggested.

The Table Saw Book
by Kelly Mehler

Ingenious Jigs and Shop Accessories: Clever Ideas for Improving Your Shop and Tools (Essentials of Woodworking)
by "Fine Woodworking" Magazine

Thanks again for the assistance.

Andy

in addition to the books i'd seriously suggest the steve maskery workshop essentials DVDs - WE3 deals with the tablesaw , principally a tenoning jig but also cross cut sleds and improved guards.

That said I'd suggest you get the mega bundle of WE1-5 for best value ( 1 & 2 are about router jigs, while 4 & 5 deal with the bandsaw) you can buy the dvds straight from steves website

( I really ought to be on commision the number of times ive recomended that - but i actually have no conection with steve other than as a satisfied customer)

AndyC Longwood":1poymylg said:
I was a little surprised that after nearly 200 viewings of my posting that only 2 replys where fore coming, what's up can everyone else not remember what it was like to start out in wood working!

Welcome Andy.

No one I've ever heard of starts out in wood-working by buying a table saw and a planer thicknesser!! I reckon the most standard reason for not replying to your post will be "lucky b***er". Anyway, get used to it. Posts get lots of views in comparison to replies.

Mike

Mike Garnham":1iww4uxh said:
AndyC Longwood":1iww4uxh said:

Welcome Andy.

No one I've ever heard of starts out in wood-working by buying a table saw and a planer thicknesser!!

Mike

indeed ive been woodworking for 10 years and still dont have either - though i do have access to them at work.

Thanks Gents,

I will check out the DVD's suggested I must admit I hadn't thought of DVD's but now thinking about it I was completely hooked on Norm's New Yankee Woodshop which is probably what ignited the interest I have for wood working.

Has I said at the beginning of the original posting, please excuse the newbie mistakes in posting on this forum, guess I should have and will from now on keep to myself the future purchases of equipment etc.

Happy wood working,

Andy.

AndyC Longwood":1bo0wjby said:
and will from now on keep to myself the future purchases of equipment etc.

Do nothing of the sort! There is a long and established tradition of "the gloat" where new tools are displayed for admiration and envy :lol: Also, you're not going to get useful help if noone knows what tools you're working with. However, if you are going to buy a full set of Holtey's just break it to the rest of us gently...

And don't worry about the ratio of views to replies, people check this place out for all sorts of reasons, and when someone has something useful to add they will reply. It's a great place to hang out, so welcome!

Latest posts

Back