NEWBIE HELP - Hardwood Pedestrian Gate with pics ???????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilabonic

Reaction score
Hi All

First off what a great forum with some excellent work.

I am looking to construct a hardwood gate if possible as the prices i have had quoted are out of my budget, in excess of £500 !!!!

I am a novice when it comes to woodworking but have access to all tools ie router, mitre saw etc.

I am looking to construct a hardwood pedestrian gate out of Meranti if possible.
Looking for it to be 2 1/2" to 3" thick, with hardwood posts to match.

Is this out of my capability as a novice ? Anybody got any plans for this style of gate ??

I have also toyed with the idea of purchasing a cheap softwood made to measure ledge/brace door and fixing hardwood tongue/groove cladding to the front - http://decksupply.co.uk/19_x_135mm_Tong ... ding_.aspx

Is this feasible ????

Pics for general idea of style gate and my opening/dimensions.

timber-gates-curvedfront.jpg

timber-gates-curvedrear.jpg

Photoofgateopening-1.jpg

GATEDIMENSIONS.jpg

If anyone can help in any way it will be much appreciated as i am at a dead end at the moment and can not find any craftsmen in my area to help....

Thanks

If it's not too big, maybe buy cheap pine for a practice first. I really like these jobs because it's all about making a few accurate joints, once you've got everything set-up it's a fairly fast job with a great finish

Aidan

I am a complete novice though mate and have not done a 'joint' since school and i mean the wood type.....lol

I like the idea of making it in pine first, is hardwood tongue/groove even available ??

Everything is available, for the right price. I wouldn't go there if I was you...

Aidan

If it is your first time then use Pine and go for this sort of design

TEWKES2.jpg

Obviously taller and slimmer. But having the spacing between the boards makes it much simpler and you can just use SS screws to fix it all together. Simple.

If you want T&G Meranti then you'll have to pay a timber yard to machine it up for you and that will be costly. Or you could buy yourself a pair of T&G cutters, but then you need a router table...

Go with a simple design. It'll all go grey in the end.

I do not mind paying for the T&G hardwood. The only problem i see is making the top edge piece which the t&g pieces finish go into to.

Could i not just make a normal ledge brace curved gate ? How 'sturdy' would this be ?

I just like the top piece (or 2/3) as it protects the open end of the wood.

Cheers

A standard ledge and brace T&G gate would be pretty sturdy even without a frame. Rails would want to finish at about 38mm thick and your boarding should ideally be as thick as possible; 22mm is good, if you can get it from 1" sawn stock. You'd have to use T-hinges rather than hook and band though.

It sounds as though you don't have much of a workshop yourself... In which case, if you went for the framed option, you'd also need to get the top curved rail machined up to order. Unless, of course, you happen to have a bandsaw/jigsaw and some kind of router table/spindle moulder setup for the shaping... :)

Actually, £500 sounds quite cheap to me. I used to work for a firm that sold softwood gates in a similar style for a little more than that!! :shock:

Whatt about the other option i mentioned in first post, using a cheapo made to measure L&B gate then cladding it in the hardwood 18mm cladding i linked to.

This would then be very sturdy and look good on the front.

Will there be any problems with that ? Was thinking of screwing/glueing them to front.

Cheers

Or if anyone could ive me quote for one made ? Or do make the pieces and i construct it ??

I would give it a go making it from scratch. Copy the design in the photos. Perhaps take a look at Volume 3 of "Carpentry and Joinery" by Brian Porter & Chris Tooke. The section on doors has more details than the section on gates. The other volumes have details of any joints you need.

The hardest part would be cutting the curved top but perhaps get someone to run that up on a bandsaw for you.

I think i am capable of making it but as you say i need to understand hoe the ;frame' around the door fits including the joints.

I could make a standard hardwood L&B door easily out of tongue/groove wood, its just the frame which requires a lot more woodworking skill.

Looking at the front/nice side of the gate itself you can see a frame consisting of two verticals and the curved top Lets say these are 3.5" thick front to back. The vertical boarding fits inside this frame... so looking at the back you can see that the other bits of the frame (the horizontal ledges and diagonal brace) are thinner front to back. They would be roughly the thickness of the frame less the thickness of the boards less a bit (say 3.5" - 1" - 0,125").

The curved top is cut from a larger piece of woof and probably has a rebate for the boards to sit in.

Joints: All are mortice and tennon. If the gate didn't have those "ears" projecting up a saddle joint might be used at the top instead of a M&T. A saddle joint is virtually identical to an M&T though.

In addition to the gate itself there are two posts (hanging and striking). In the example these are pretty simple. probably made from the same size timber as the gate. No rebates or anything like that - it's relying on the latch to stop it swinging the wrong way.

Digit":184028xd said:
Too far! If you'd been nearer I could have helped.

Roy.

Where are you based Roy ? I do not mind travelling at all !!!!!

The gate where i had a quote was in Rhyl and i was going to travel there.....

Cheers

Right i have been racking my brain about what to do here and it's hard enough to even find a supplier.

The only prob i see as mentioned earlier is the top piece which need to be rebated and perhaps done in 2 sections ?

I have found this site but do not fully understand their pricing system and can not mail them wood sizes i roughly need or even the finish ( i think they can finish as i need tbh)

http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/meranti_ ... timber.php

Can anyone give me estimate of what i need so i can mail them for rough price guide ?

I realise this is very cheeky but as a newbie got to start somewhere

Cheers :)

Digit could you machine the top bit ??

Back