Newbie being dim, Delta owners advice pls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansy

Reaction score
Hi there

Just bought a used Delta 40-540 with quickset blade change.

It had a blade firmly in it when I got it but now I've released it I can't get the blade back firmly in the chuck. I have the printed instruction manual which just says do the reverse of taking it out. Does it go in the forward, back or centre of the chuck? There is a knob on the right side and a lever on the left, can someone explain how to co-ordinate this please?

I also seem to be missing the handle on the tension knob, anyone know if I can get a replacement for that?
Found this site with a parts diagram but I can't identify the part number

appreciate any advice

Thanks blackrodd, I have this manual it just doesn't explain the upper chuck positioning clearly

I agree with you on the blade fixing but now others can hopefully see what you mean,
Pictures being worth a thousand words and all that.
Rodders

Hi there, I'm not very good at explaining by writing, if you know what I mean but will give it a go, not sure which part you are missing, from the manual that Rodders linked to in fig 29 page 11 is it A or B that's missing? As for putting the blade in the top clamp it goes in from the front. Referring to page 10 fig 24 you'll see the clamp lever is back, you then put the blade into the clamp from the front closing the lever C, this is a cam type lever and the nut the other side adjusts the clamping pressure (the same as bicycle quick release levers) which by the way doesn't need to be very much, ie pulling it forwards there should be a bit of resistance as it comes forward, . Best way to describe this is slack off the nut a little put the blade in the clamp and pull the lever forward, if it doesn't hold the blade flick the lever back tighten the nut a little, 1/8th of a turn, no more and try again repeat until the blade is clamped and holds when the tension is applied, again this doesn't need to be great, as little as needed to give the blade a ping sound when plucked. Be warned though that excessive tension on the blade clamp lever and the tension lever will bend and damage them, you'll be surprised at how little amount of tension is needed. I hope this helps and is clearer than mud.
happy scrolling
Steve

Thanks for in of so far,

The clamp is about 18mm long and doesn't clamp evenly down it's length. so it might hold in one place but not a mm further in. I'm trying to work out if it needs to go in a specific place or if the clamp is just damaged somehow.

Have you changed the size of blade?--- on the 540 you can change the the "clamp" settings by tightening / loosening the bolt on the other side of the clamp

John

Latest posts

Back