newbie atempt at a bowl third turning session unkown wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart c

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i have had a third attempt at turning today bought a lump of wood from the carboot sale sadly i'm no good at

identifying wood i guess you guys hopefully can tell me what it is it was only £3 and i can get another two bowls from it at a later date so cheap practise material

learnt a few things to day the hard way nnaturally saw off all corners as a chunk in the face hurts

face shield now on order

good light is must in my dark little hovel of a work area missed a lot of lines on the inside half blind in the gloom but fear of something else aattacking me made me keep my distance

angle lamp on list for next bootsale

and the other thing don't expect the wife to be over joyed with your efforts when she is still sulking about loosing her shed :shock:

Attachments

• bowl.JPG
    bowl.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,079
For a third session, that's looks great Stuart. It's hard to see from the picture, but it could be sapele. Was it very dusty? Perhaps a close-up picture or at a higher definition might assist?

Good luck with your turning.

Noggsy":ppjtpz3l said:
For a third session, that's looks great Stuart. It's hard to see from the picture, but it could be sapele. Was it very dusty? Perhaps a close-up picture or at a higher definition might assist?

Good luck with your turning.

yes very dusty i did wear a mask but it is everywhere

Quite possibly sapele then, which is a type of cheap mahogany I believe. It finishes nicely, but there's a lot of dust in the process. I found paste wax (I use a lemon scented mix) put on your sandpaper/discs works to greatly reduce the amount of dust and a fiver's worth goes a long way.

That pic looks like sapele to me too.

thanks for that i will get some for next time it will beat having to go outside every few mins to let the worse settle

Nice bowl! If that is only your third attempt I expect to see greater things in the future. The shape and proportions look good and that's 90% of the battle. I still keep my first bowl just to see how much I've come on. My first inclination was to use it for firewood.

Very nice attempt. Some folk are very sensitive to the dust so take care.
I make my own paste wax, in a 1:4 ratio of pure beeswax and liquid paraffin. (if you can't find any LP, use the cheapest baby oil you can get your hands on)
I think it works out at about £5 per kilo.

stuart c":k73bqjyl said:
good light is must in my dark little hovel of a work area

You could do to slap a couple of coats of white emulsion on your shed walls, even before you get a lamp you'll notice a big difference.

Very nice bowl though, your mrs. is right. [aren't they always?]

thank you all for your advice and comments an iroko bowl it is then luckily no reaction to the dust

the mask i have has a good seal around my chubby chops but i will definatly use a sanding wax next time you live and learn

You can get liquid paraffin in most chemists, i got a small bottle but it goes a long way when mixing with the wax...

Back