Newbie Again - Wood Dye, Now Ply Quality?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished this.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1

Pic's 1-5 on the left, I did the ally' folding hook as well :D 6 & 7 were an earlier project.

For my next project I'm planning on doing a laminate.

For ease of construction I'm going to use a number of pieces of cabinet ply' to make up a piece of around 60mm thick.

I'd like to use a dye in between the pieces. Will I be able to use a glue on top of the dye?

I'll be carving and sanding to bring out the dyed laminates with a final colour to finish.

Am I looking at any problems?

Ray 8)

Hello Ray,

Between spirit and water based dye, I'd intuitively go for water-based dye as it should't compromise the glueing. I also think the water-based dye might sink a bit deeper into the grain.

Somebody can now shoot me down in flames.

cheers,

Ike

If you want the water stain to bite deeper, try putting some ammonia in it but be careful with it :)
Ps just a little bit :wink:

I wouldn't know where to get ammonia.

Another question.

Are there deferences in the quality of Ply'?

I don't want knots.

Ray 8)

RAJ":3b9adpsb said:
I wouldn't know where to get ammonia.
A good chemist can supply .880 ammonia, although a chemical supply house will be lots cheaper. Some finishing firms like Morrells in Stockport will also supply it

RAJ":3b9adpsb said:
Are there deferences in the quality of Ply'?

I don't want knots.
Yes - assuming you are talking about birch plywood the best face grade you are likely to see is "S" grade (somewhere between A and B - never seen A grade.....) - the next two grades are normally B then BB. BB has obvious repair patches, B is better and S better still (with correspondingly higher prices) - the reverse side will be a lower quality such as B or more likely a BB so expect to be offered only S/B, S/BB or B/BB, oh and even S-grade can have minor pinhole knots and the odd small patch. Finnish stuff is rare but generally regarded as the best available if you can get it. Most of the stuff imported now comes from Latvia with some cheaper importers offering Chinese - avoid the Chinese like the proverbial - is' utter dross

Scrit

Thank's Scrit,

A little bit late for my present project now, I just went up to a Joinery factory and asked for some ply' :roll: I wanted to get started. You know how it is.

I'm going to have to do some filling in the holes in the open sections of the leaves.

I must have dropped lucky there's no bad surfaces in 10 pieces @ 700x150. Altho' I could hide any bad ones or leave them out. I'll be dying the surfaces and gluing 7 together. Then carving and sanding. I'm thinking of a final sanding filler to finish with a wax. I want to keep the colours.

With the better quality is there less holes inbetween the leaves, or is that how it goes with Ply?

Ray 8)

With the better quality is there less holes inbetween the leaves, or is that how it goes with Ply?

Yup, that should be it, Ray.

Ike

RAJ":2wsbdlf6 said:
B or BB grade birch ply generally has very few voids - Finnish is always better in that respect than Latvian or Russian. But yes, higher grade faces is generally accompanied by higher grade core stock

Scrit

Well I know now. I'll carry on with what I've got and order a couple of pound of filler :roll:

Ray 8)

Latest posts

Back