Newbie, 1st post (and some help needed) :o)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been lurking on the forums for a while so decided to jump in now and make my first post.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I am very new to woodworking, I'm generally pretty good at manual/creative things but just recently seriously decided to start making some decent stuff rather than just the rough timber playhouses and climbing frames I have knocked up for my nephew. Probably class myself as a competent, adventurous beginner :D

I have moved to a new house in the past 6 months with a nice sized garage (22'x24') and now the weather is better want to kit it out as a nice little workshop and start making some furniture etc.

I have read many posts on here and buy quite a lot of the reccommended woodworking magazines and and ready to start knocking something up. The biggest problem I am finding is finding a good, local wood source.

I live in a village called Grappenhall, just outside Warrington in Cheshire and was hoping that you guys either know of some good suppliers or can reccommend good suppliers in other areas that deliver.

I also could do with some advice on choosing wood and what to look for and avoid when making choices.

That is probably enough to be going on with for now :D

Thanks in advance for any advice given, and for everything I have picked up during my lurking periods.

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":2fy6f0ia said:
I have moved to a new house in the past 6 months with a nice sized garage (22'x24') and now the weather is better want to kit it out as a nice little workshop and start making some furniture etc.

Mark

Hi Mark

"Nice sized garage" :lol: :shock: There are plenty on here that would kill for half that size. Oh yes, Welcome to the slope :lol:

Hi Mark

Haven't you tried Beers, yet? Down on Thelwall Lane near the Ship Canal. They used to stock hardwoods when I lived in the area a few years back

Scrit

Lord nibbo - :D fiar point, it is miles bigger than I need. I live in a converted barn and the garage is one of the old stone outbuildings that has been timber clad and fitted out with lighting/power circuits on separate 4 circuit consumer unit, so it's all ready to go. I just need to work out what to buy and how to lay it out.

Chris - Thanks for the link, i'll check that out.

Scrit - I thought about beers but assumed they were more construction timber. Will take a run down there at the weekend.

Cheers

Mark

Back