New Year Clear-out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castanea

Established Member
Reaction score
We're drowning in mediocre bowls so some of them had to go. They went rather prettily and have left some space in the house for me to make more - hopefully slightly less mediocre. I'd heartily recommend culling rubbish turnings by fire :)

Firebowls-1.jpg

Firebowls-2.jpg

Attachments

• Firebowls-1.jpg
    Firebowls-1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,401
  • Firebowls-2.jpg
    Firebowls-2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,401
If it's not too late, keep one or two in the workshop. I use them if I'm doing some carving / pyro / staining / airbrushing etc either to 'doodle' on to get something I like or simple to practice on before screwing up the piece I really want. Also you can divide into panels as a sampler if you're being asked to make stuff for others.

All a bit more useful than basic calorific value but do take space I know.

S

Don't worry - these were the tip of the iceberg and I was pretty generous when I went through deciding what to cull - the firewood bowls really were the bottom of the barrel and clearing a space - both physicaly and mentaly - means I get to make something new to fill it :) The only problem with the process thus far is that the house still has too many bowls in!

I did exactly the same. Culled a few of my early attempts and they went up like a Christmas tree!

My club calls the classic new turners bowl the "dog bowl".....thick sides, poor transition between base and sides and not a fair curve in sight never mind a reverse turned base. There is a school of thought that says you should keep some for posterity...you know to see the journey beginning so to speak....but my oh my do they burn well :)

Random Orbital Bob":2zgp3r2f said:
I did exactly the same. Culled a few of my early attempts and they went up like a Christmas tree!

My club calls the classic new turners bowl the "dog bowl".....thick sides, poor transition between base and sides and not a fair curve in sight never mind a reverse turned base. There is a school of thought that says you should keep some for posterity...you know to see the journey beginning so to speak....but my oh my do they burn well :)

Have to disagree with you there. Being an engineer and philistine if it works its good :)

That could be a new and interesting surface texturing technique - the flambéed bowl !!

Brian

It's a good idea Brian but the timing is tricky - I appear to have over-done mine a little bit :)

Back