New Yankee Workshop on-line

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, no one with enough brain power to afford a table saw would copy Norm or anyone else directly.

If it's a case of "monkey see, monkey do" then, too bad!

PerranOak":157uhp0e said:
Hopefully, no one with enough brain power to afford a table saw would copy Norm or anyone else directly.

but why not, if they dont know any better and they see a supposed expert doing it , why should they not conclude that its normal practice

I accept the teacher point and yes, taking cues from an expert is a way to learn. However, he does say that guards, etc. are removed for clarity.

PerranOak":23z723wh said:
I accept the teacher point and yes, taking cues from an expert is a way to learn. However, he does say that guards, etc. are removed for clarity.

His LAWYERS do....as with everything else in the USA they are protecting themselves from a lawsuit...a trend we are fast adopting in the UK...like having "May Contain Nuts" on a packet of peanuts! :roll:

:wink:

Jim

big soft moose":dyjt7ajt said:
Smudger":dyjt7ajt said:
I think Norm gets a lot of stick here, unnecessarily. Perhaps he's got all his fingers because what he does is essentially safe, and he's actually a careful worker.

but working without the guards is essentially unsafe - the fact that he hasnt been injured (yet) is down to more luck than judgement imo

statements like yours above implying that its alright for 'experts' to break the safety rules always remind me of the defense of some of steve irwins actions - andf look what happened to him.

I think the bottom line is its fine for anyone to break the safety guidelines so long as they are prepared to live with the consequences , but it is grossly iresponsible to encourage anyone else to do likewise - when they will have to bear any consequence of the encouragement.

What are we beating him up for here? Removing guards 'for tv purposes'? Everyone does that, just about. Or unsafe working practices like using dado cutters?
In the first case the exceptionality is clearly marked. In the second, it's considered safe enough in the USA. It may well be safe altogether, certainly it hasn't hurt him.

He is making a workbench. Halvings, screws and a little glue. The top is a bit thin and it seems a bit narrow for stability, But a nice method of manufacture, and he is slick.

jimi43":ww4cm4qa said:
Anyone know if there was ever an "Old Yankee Workshop"?

On YouTube, you can find the Old Crankee Workshop, presented by "Nahm"... :? Just don't expect too much!! :wink:

Thinking back almost five-years, Norm certainly inspired me... I can remember days when I used to wear a tool belt in the workshop [no-one ever wears them, even on site!] and I even bought a tonne of drywall screws, all because of him! :D ...And I still have most of those left! :oops: They're okay for MDF and plywood glue-ups though, I doubt I'll ever use them all up!

Norm was the whole reason for me getting into this lark...and i miss his voice on Discovery channel
everytime i turn Sky on i goto Disco Shed just to make sure an episode of New Yankee hasn't slipped through and everytime i get dissapointed he's not there
I have managed to collect about 100+ episodes via the internet which i have stored up for rainy days

my twopeneth

Most people that have wood dust in their veins have some for of book, internet forum, progamme that they will watch/read/participate in and know the difference between safe practice and someone showing them how it's done (with guards removed)

Where are all these "other programmes" with blatant lack of safety demonstrated....I ain't seen any? Even with warnings.

I love the programmes...but that don't make it any less irresponsible.

Anyway....everyone's entitled to their opinions...even if it does happen to be about St Norm, patron saint of dados....

:D :D :D :wink:

Jim

OPJ":1m8nxmjt said:
I can remember days when I used to wear a tool belt in the workshop no-one ever wears them, even on site!

I do - for signing tasks - I'm yet to find a better way of carrying a rechargeable drill, a mallet , a couple of chisels, and a load of screws about the countryside with everything easily accesible and not likely to be mislaid

course it does make one look a total @rse but then i have 37 years experience of looking like one so thats not going to put me off ;)

(incidentally my tool belt habit has nowt to do with norm - until i joined ukw i'd not even heard of him)

jimi43":qg0gvqg9 said:
Where are all these "other programmes" with blatant lack of safety demonstrated....I ain't seen any? Even with warnings.

Anyway....everyone's entitled to their opinions...even if it does happen to be about St Norm, patron saint of dados....

Jim

Great British Woodshop (very specifically)
Cutting Edge Woodworker (occasionally)

Smudger":1xjcfsxn said:
jimi43":1xjcfsxn said:

Jim

Are they being shown now? I really miss the woodworking programmes that used to be on.

I have been trolling SKY but just missed the back end of one interesting programme (American) about joints but apart from that I can't find any.

Never even heard of the ones you mention....who did them?

Cheers

Jim

jimi43":9n4x2g2p said:
Smudger":9n4x2g2p said:
jimi43":9n4x2g2p said:

Jim

Are they being shown now? I really miss the woodworking programmes that used to be on.

I have been trolling SKY but just missed the back end of one interesting programme (American) about joints but apart from that I can't find any.

Never even heard of the ones you mention....who did them?

Cheers

Jim

linkys

great british woodshop

cutting edge woodworker

AH! Learn something new every day!!

I only come here...I tried a few other websites and lurked but this was by FAR the best...so stopped looking at others after that.

I thought it was a tele programme...I thought I had those covered!

Cheers

Jim

jimi43":3qbmup0t said:

I only come here...I tried a few other websites and lurked but this was by FAR the best...so stopped looking at others after that.

Cheers

Jim
er they are programmes - the links i put on are to bios about them ;)

jimi43":2zwohqld said:

Cheers

Jim

They WERE tv programmes Jim. now they have migrated to websites.

These days programmes are required to have more entertainment value and being able to learn anything from them is frowned up.

Bob

Latest posts

Back