New Yankee Workshop on-line

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it this morning. It's strange how the format never really changed from day one. Apart from a less equipped shop, the process behind the way he did things, remained the same.

wizer":3gi498i6 said:
It's strange how the format never really changed from day one. Apart from a less equipped shop, the process behind the way he did things, remained the same.

Not forgetting his shirt as well, of course! :D

I remember one episode where they filmed him going to his wardrobe, which was filled with identical shirts - I'm sure they did something very similar to that on Home Improvement as well, with Al Borland. :wink:

Huh, with my broadband connection it'd take over a week to upload :evil: :evil:, and by then they'll be showing another episode.

Something to do during lunchtime at school however :wink:

Cheers

Aled

His finger-joint jig.... "Guards removed for photographic purposes - when using a tablesaw always use the guard"

Just how can you do that particular process with the tablesaw guard in place? You can't. In fact, even my SUVA or stand-alone magnetic guards wouldn't be suitable there.

The only way you could do that job guarded would be to build a tunnel-guard into the jig itself, as far as I can see.

Who does he think he is kidding? I don't mind him doing what he is doing, that's his prerogative, but I really resent being treated as if I am stupid.

S

Although to some he is a virtual god...I always used to say to her indoors..."ANYONE could make a good job at woodwork with kit like that"...and I still firmly believe that.

Still...it is fun to watch....

Jim

Anyone know if it is possible to download episodes, rather than streaming the video, which is a bit stop/start depending on the broadband connection?

jimi43":1u7x8226 said:
Although to some he is a virtual god...I always used to say to her indoors..."ANYONE could make a good job at woodwork with kit like that"...and I still firmly believe that.

Still...it is fun to watch....

Jim

How true, but now and then, some can make a botch of a job with nice kit too. DAMHIKT!!

John :oops:

Hi guy's,

Just watched him make the bathroom cabinet and I can't believe some of the methods he used. I couldn't even watch him cut those "tennons" (looked more like a bridle joint to me!!) I counted his fingers and they all appeared to be there :!: :!: :?: :?:

I've seen some stupid stuff done in my time (I've even done some stupid stuff :oops: ) but that was un-believable :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Are all of his projects like that?

Richard (Not normally a health and safety obsessive)

George_N":un11c3j7 said:
Anyone know if it is possible to download episodes, rather than streaming the video, which is a bit stop/start depending on the broadband connection?

No problem if you use Firefox and Downloadhelper to get it and VLC to watch it. For more information :arrow: http://www.downloadhelper.net/tutorials.php and DAGS VLC

Steve Maskery":kea18rh5 said:
His finger-joint jig.... "Guards removed for photographic purposes - when using a tablesaw always use the guard"

Just how can you do that particular process with the tablesaw guard in place? You can't. In fact, even my SUVA or stand-alone magnetic guards wouldn't be suitable there.

The only way you could do that job guarded would be to build a tunnel-guard into the jig itself, as far as I can see.

Who does he think he is kidding? I don't mind him doing what he is doing, that's his prerogative, but I really resent being treated as if I am stupid.

S

I think that was put on by the producers to prevent a lawsuit if somebody loses a finger when following his advice.

Your forgetting one of the most important aspect of the American psyche - it is their God given right to feed themselves into fast spinning machinery if that's what they want to do and nobody is allowed to stop them.

If you tried to make them guard their saws they'd hunt you down and kill you with all those guns they're allowed to have :D :D

Richard Findley":7r5swz8u said:
Hi guy's,
those "tennons" (looked more like a bridle joint to me!!)

Are all of his projects like that?

Richard (Not normally a health and safety obsessive)

I agree Richard. 'That's a bridle-joint!', I said to myself!

As for the safety. I am not a 'Nanny' type either, but there are easier and safer ways to machine those joints. Why doesn't the guy demonstrate some alternative methods? Or has this video been edited for on-line viewing?

Also, I don't think I would have captured the mirror in a groove. Nor stuck it to the plywood. Breakages happen, and it's nice to be able to replace the mirror without any fuss.

John
:?

This was the very first episode, in America, over twenty years ago. Of course those practises were not safe. But he did get better over the years. Obviously, he never stopped using the dado head, but then no one else in America has stopped using it. This is aimed at a foreign audience where culture is different.

Hi Tom,

I like the dado head myself, but I think I'd always use one with some kind of jig. The finger-joint jig he used was fine, for instance.

My chief bother with the dado-head is the dismantling and setting up, so it's a tool I would use for production runs. For a one-off it's easier to stick a cutter in the router. Or even use a plough plane!

:D

Cheers
John

I disagree, John, I don't think it is fine.

Don't get me wrong, a dado head produces very clean fingers, better than a router cutt often, but the very nature of the jig means that the blade exits out the back when you are leant right over the table. The way you have to hold the works piece makes it more dangerous than using for grooving, for example, where you can use pushsicks inthe normal way.

Someone has asked me recently about a jig for FGs, I'm formulating a guarded design in my head. I might have a go.

S

Latest posts

Back