New Workshop - thoughts and comments?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, after moving house, its time for me to construct a new workshop. I was pretty happy with the previous version, so, other than the size, am happy to aim for pretty much the same type of contruction. Walls, from inside to out are planned to be 18mm Chipboard, Tyvek Housewrap (breathable fabric with one way moisture - like goretex), 50mm Rockwool, Roofing felt, and featheredge.

The 18mm chipboard provides some strength (particularly as I don't have any diagonals), a flat wall to attach things to, and allows me to paint it for brightness. The Tyvek ensures any moisture makes it out the workshop and no rain makes it in. Rockwool provides the insulation. Roofing felt (fairly loosely attached so as not to act as a barrier to water/moisture release) provides some waterproofing for any rain that makes it behind the featheredge. Finally the featheredge for rain/snow proofing, and for appearance.

The plan is to build it "prefabricated" in sections, at the back determined by the width of the rockwool, and at the front by the width of the windows. The doorway will be extra large, and used to compensate for the any difference in front wall length, and back wall length.

The outside of each "prefabricated" frame will be 3x2 timber, with 2 inch square in the centre (really just so there is something to nail the featheredge to).

Windows will be uPVC double glazed, with Pilkinton "K" glass. The plan would be that due to its modular construction, I'd take this with me if I ever moved, so plan to recoup the initial construction costs over its expected lifetime.

Any comments, or thoughts would be very welcome. This is my very first model in sketchup so not quite up to the standard of you guys. I had a play around yesterday and lunchtime today and its seems just the ticket.

Plan would be to construct almost the entirety "offsite", and bring in the panels once the floor is laid. Currently, my back is so bad so that walking is a struggle, never mind heaving lengths of 3 x 2 around. Still, 'spect it'll improve shorlty (fingers crossed).

Side walls will be either the same as the back, or possible also with a window.

I'm a bit stuck on the roof, I think a simple apex roof with "A" frame type construction. Then under and over felted. Again, with some form of insulation to keep the heat out/in depending on time of year. Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Adam

61422282.jpg

61422283.jpg

61422285.jpg

Adam
One comment ref the roof. Can I suggest you investigate Onduline Bitumous Roofing Sheets?
http://www.slecladding.co.uk/ondul.htm
I've used the thinner Corroline to replace felt on a pitch roof and I reckon it will outlive roofing felt. It is easy and less messy to apply and rooflights are available and easy to fit (I've not done this but intend to one day). It can be fitted on to a boarded roof or to save cost joists and purlins.

Onduline seems to be only available from specilist roofing supplies Corroline is available from Homebase, Wickes etc.

Hope the back gets better soon.

Andy

Looks OK to me but it might be even more waterproof with a roof on it.

Ooh, I'm such a wag.

Seriously though, I know nothing about construction, but I expect someone will come along and give you some proper feedback soon.

Hope the back gets better, I've been coughing for nearly 5 weeks and it's weaing me out.

Cheers
Steve

I built mine in much the same way ie, using pre-fabricated panels. Mine were based on 8x4' sheets of 6mm marine ply for the exterior and hardboard for the interior, with vapour barrier and 50mm Rockwool in between, 100mm f/g in the roof space (flat roof) and a suspended floor. The panels were relatively light to lift tho' the downside is that its slightly tricky to hang stuff on the inside. I fitted four 5' double tube lights and a separate 13A ring main with separate master cut-off switch for all the power tools, running off a small consumer unit - Rob

Sounds great to me Adam - particularly the increased size =D>

Sorry, can't offer any advice as both of my workshops have been converted garages and so came ready built.

Hi Adam, I have built my own along similar lines to this if you are interested? I have the plans for it in SU too. Contact me if you want.

Hi Adam,
Would builders roofing ply be a better choice than chipboard for the sides?
Likely to be not much more expensive and stronger. What about shiplap instead of nasty feather board?

:D aldel

My wall construction would be 18mm chip bd. vapour barrier, insulation ,tyvek,treated battens, (for space to evaporate any rain that penetrates) featheredge.
B&Q do a breathable membrane its cheaper than tyvek its for tiled roof but i have used it just click my www button to see.
your proposal could allow the insulation to get wet over time as the tyvek would pass water vapour into it.

Adam
I built a similar workshop about 20 years ago - its still going strong. The exterior is clad in pressure treated 18mm planed shiplap (allowed to dry before fixing) which even now shows little deterioration. The roof is single pitch, low edge to the door, giving good storage on the opposite wall and extra height. (although it looks as though you will be using an end wall for the door)
If I were to repeat the exercise I would increase the insulation to 4" on the walls, 6" for the roof and investigate substantial insulation under the floor (I have no underfloor insulation and my workshop does lose heat when windy and cold).

Bob

Back