New works

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

thank you for your comments.

Pete

you are right of course from the point of view of wabi-sabi perfection comes from imperfection etc. The only other thing that I am aware of is the perfect out breath in meditation. I certainly never manage it.

However the Japanese culture making up many philosophies other than just Zen, including shinto as the main religion has been steeped in the persuit of perfection. But not for the self indulgent perfection that we would think of for satisfaction of the ego.

IE the perfect sword cut, the perfect tea ceremony, but these things are not done for perfection as we know it and this is where the word becomes lost in translation.

So having reflected and come back to this I would actually say that the whole phylosophy of Zen is in fact perfection, even if it is find out that it is in fact imperfect, therefore making it just so/as it should be,therefore perfect. This for me is where the word perfection to us means a different thing.

I can not say I have the answers but a close friend is a Zen teacher who I use to study under. I will go for a cup of tea with him and discuss the meaning and persuit of perfection.

Thank you for your encouragement it is appreciated and to meet someone who understands where I am coming from is refreshing.

Loz

It is very fulfilling to work with an idea and then create it. I find for me that just making an item such as a bowl does not do it for me. But that is me. We are all different.

Thanks for your input.

Cambourne Pete.

looking forward to meeting up too. I hope my work is as good as you expect.

Paul

Look forward to meeting up. I will be using a Nova.

Big soft moose.

for me to restrict myself to the wood showing does just that, restricts my work. I only see wood as any other medium and trust me if my good lady would let me I would also be working in metal, plastic and glass. In fact I am looking at buying a kiln to work in glass so watch this space.

Take care all, and for those that are going to Yandles. I like my tea, strong with milk but no sugar please
:D

edited ref discussion of perfection with Pete

Hi Hans

thank you very much for your comment. I have a few mores ideas to develop alone these lines.

Take care

Mark

Back