New workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacms

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It has been pretty clear to me over the past few weeks that my current setup of plywood board on top of saw horses needs to be replaced with a proper workbench.

However, due to space limitations, I need it to be both an MFT/track saw table and an assembly table. I saw that Axminster has the plans on how to build exactly this and was wondering what are people opinions on their plans (https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/tag/power-tool-table/)? I will probably modify the plans so I can add a bench vice to one of the legs. Also, what are the materials people recommend for this? Would joinery redwood suffice for it? And just I bulk up the size provided by Axminster?

I built mine a couple of years ago with a CNC'd MFT top from ebay - excellent quality by the way. I built it as a torsion box, but the bottom skin is cutout between the webs to allow sawdust through and access to any dogs etc from underneath. The section at the vice end is filled in between the webs to make is solid. The whole thing weighs a ton and doesn't budge at all, even when heavy planing. also built a hinged flap to give me extra working space when needed.

Image%2044.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

If you go down the torsion box route, it's essential to build off a completely level surface - I used wooden bearers on top of my table saw to build it.

Here's a couple of pics of the build, on showing the open web underside. The top is just MRMDF lipped with solid wood. The webs were glued and pocket holed to the skins.

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

It really has been a good bench and wasn't too hard to build and its also still completely flat - although I did add another central support at the front for good measure. When the MFT section gets worn, I can simply unbolt it and flip it over.

Simon

Back