New woodturners pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishandchips

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been woodturning for 6 weeks now, below is what I made so far. Any you like? Any you don't like? Still a lot to learn especially finishing.

Beech bowl
null_zps7616e80a.jpg

Indian rosewood candle holder
null_zps983f3cf4.jpg

Cocobolo candle holder
null_zpsd29da144.jpg

Purpleheart candle holder with some grains of black something from ikea.
null_zpsd26e5b34.jpg

Unknown wood finial box.
null_zps69d0033e.jpg

Cabbage bark wood lidded box
null_zps25b69443.jpg

Cocobolo ring holder for my daughters birthday today
null_zpsb79d81e8.jpg

Ring holder open with ring
null_zps0865f94b.jpg

Unknown wood bowl
null_zps2ee97b48.jpg

Thanks for looking - garry

Hi

The unknown wood on the finial box is yew, the unknown bowl is possibly oak

Good progress for only six weeks

Regards Mick

I like the candle holder, that's different, (note that the purpleheart will go brown eventually, which is a shame, would be great if it retained it's colour.) Good work all round for the time you have been doing it, keep at it!

Might be the light but your Beech bowl looks more like Mahogany?

Can't see any tool marks, well proportioned and balanced (mainly ;) ) and look to be finished well =D>

I think the finials could do with a bit of work shape wise but apart from that I think you've got the hang of it :)

Cheers peeps, I was a bit worried about putting my work online and there where a few omissions ;-)

Bought some cherry from a local chap and been turning it green, I'll post some more pics when it's dried out and finished.

Cheers again

Garry

The first six weeks are the hardest :roll: .You have made a great start and now that you have posted some pictures ,you are well on the way
to having a buying spree .It's amazing how easy it is to find something to buy . Good luck :mrgreen:

That Is Superb work for a guy been turning for six weeks you really got the hang of things what I like is your variety and ability to turn different styles and timbers well done keep em coming =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Cheers guys,

I have to admit to a lot of sanding :-() I also went through the bottom of a bowl today I had spent 2 hours on.

I bought just about everything already Eugene, the last 6 weeks has been a spending spree. Done now though just going to cadge some trees of the local tree surgeon.

I have been woodworking on and off for a few years now but really like turning, it's more hands on and creative, also if you make a mistake with a project it is not wasted it becomes a new project (a smaller project).

Cheers

Garry

I have just bought a lathe, and hope I can do half as well as you in six weeks time. Brilliant, well done

Back