New type of plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you click on the link it takes you to another page (which is rather annoying), but if you cut and paste the URL address in a new window it opens up a PDF document with a drawing of some sort of plane-like thingamabob. I wonder the use of such a design (none as far as I can see), although it is different. All the registration is in front of the cut, which makes the plane useless as soon as you get anywhere near the end of a board. Depth adjustment is interesting.

It doesn't look like you can adjust the blade depth seperately from the mouth width. When you adjust one the other automatically changes.

Do NOT open this link...,

Little Snitch on my Mac popped up saying did I want to connect acrobat to a different website...now call me paranoid but I didn't recognise the site...so reckon it could be dodgy.

For those of you who did read it fully..suggest you run your antivirus/spyware stuff asap.

Could be worrying unnecessarily but better safe...

As Frank says, you need to cut 'n' paste the link into a new window; for some reason, if you just click the link you end up at some Italian ISP directory.

Can't see anything wrong with the document though - it's just a PDF file.

Pete W":2jwlqa4t said:
Can't see anything wrong with the document though - it's just a PDF file.

Mmm..do a google on "pdf virus" :wink:

My Mac runs a program that flags up whenever a program tries to access a previously unknown website...outside the current one I'm viewing. Which is what it did in this case. I didn't recognise it as one of Adobe's update sites (which is what usually flags up any warning).

I'm pretty bullet-proof against current viruses and spyware on my Mac..but still a bit paranoid :wink: :wink:

Roger Sinden":jryvfr5y said:
Mmm..do a google on "pdf virus" :wink:

The only PDF virus (so far) can only affect a computer running the full developer version of Acrobat; anyone running the normal Acrobat Reader is safe. No need for PDF paranoia just yet...

I am nither spamer nor hacker :? I just try to present my idea of new plane.
I left only link in my post because this forum doesn't suport files.

So what you say about my PLANE?

PDF issues put aside, here are a few comments on the plane as well as we all know how frustrating it may get with meta discussion when you are waiting for real comments :)

For my eyes the ancestors of this plane would be nearer a electric hand plane where the sole has a step at the cutting edge.

As Frank said it'll be very difficult to "steer" when you get to the end of the plank as there is so little sole after the cutting edge. On the other hand as does a japanese plane, so this one just might be used as a pull plane instead of a push plane, although the step on the sole makes it pretty difficult for me to imagine how it would handle. At least the friction of the "steel sole" ie. the bottom of the horizontal blade (for some reason I would call it a blade instead of an iron :) ) behind the edge is not what I would want in a plane. If you think how the back of a conventional plane goes over the wood, you'll notice the difference.

Furthermore the angle of the blade, or iron is a bit too critical to my taste. If it's even half of a hair negative so that the edge is upper than the back of the blade (or "sole"), it won't cut. On the other hand if the blade is angled a bit positive so that the edge is lower than the back, you lose control of the plane and start "scooping" wood when you approach the end of the plank - just as you would scoop wood with a spokeshave, if you get the point. This would happen every time with the sketch number 2.

Another thing that caught my eye would be that the plane would be pretty difficult to sharpen. You should leave some free space between the sharpened part and the cheeks which hold the blade to the frame. On this one you'll never get to the corners without getting some sort of a bump in the sharpening angle, or at least you have to forget about Tormek's and such and practice a lot with your stones.

It's a nice idea and a neat concept, but the 3D-programs are just a bit too easy to make neat concepts. I'm not an expert on 3D although I used to be an old-fashioned 2D mechanical designer. Only thing I know is that it's always a shame at work to shoot down ideas which are well-thought, inventive and utterly impractical as they work only on the screen. :?

You could still test the idea with a real plane. Instead of trying to forge a tight 90 degree angle on the blade (which is darn expensive) you could just take any bit of carbon steel, drill four holes on the corners and bolt on the cheeks. It wouldn't be that difficult to make a first prototype just to play with. The blade wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just something to fiddle with when checking the possibilities the new geometry would offer.

It wouldn't be the first time that a great idea gets nothing but criticism before making a fortune :D

Pekka

Hi Rapsod,

I want to be cautious in my critique because I don't want to hamper your creativity. So please just take my lack of understanding of what it is you are attempting for what it is worth.

Looking at the drawing as is, the mouth is too far back. A plane blade needs registration both ahead and behind the blade. Plane design, while there is still lots of room for innovation, has been refined over a long, long time.

There is a lot of blade that appears to be unsupported. This will induce chatter, even bedded as low as this blade is.

By having angled adjustment slots, when one opens the mouth, the blade needs a positive way of retracting. I don't know how you intend to facilitate adjustment of the iron, but this needs consideration.

As well, adjusting the mouth opening should have as little impact on the iron setting as possible. Else it is a pita in use. Far better would be to run the adjusters straight back and forth as this would allow the mouth to open or close and a tiny adjustment to the blade for coarse or fine shavings.

The drawing of course doesn't show the fastners for the adjustment of the plane blade bed. Having two or four fastners of some sort to loosen and tighten in order to make an adjustment would be tiring in use. These fasteners would need to provide a very positive fixing of the movable blade bed in order to be viable.

And lastly, there needs a comfortable method of holding the plane. With the mouth/blade at the rear would mean the tote would need to be in front of the mouth. This too may not be ideal.

Thank you for sharing your creativity. I hope my comments are seen as constructive.

Take care, Mike

Back