New toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had a nice toy this week, the Crown revolution hollowing system arrived Tuesday morning, as I hadn’t done any hollowing as such I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with the tool, by Tuesday night I’d roughed out my first hollow form “Vase” the narrowest part of the neck is 25mm through that hole I hollowed about 4” down to about 2” Very pleased with what I’d managed so far, though I did have quite a bit of help advice from Mark Sanger I had a couple of chats with him on Tuesday over the phone he gave me a few tips on using the tool which proved very useful.

I realise the shape form of the vase is wrong the sholder needed to be higher, but still thought i'd share what i had done so fare.

DSCF1341.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

the main idea was to get a feel of the tool and it's many uses.

spasm

Hi Robert.

Well for your first it is very good indeed. Keep up the good work. Looks like a good finish you have gotten on the inside too.

look forward to hearing more about you developing relationship with the tool - certainly looks like a good honeymoon!

Hi Jumps,
I find the tool gets better the more I use it I soon found a way to know the exact angle of the tool when inside the form the handle has a crown tools logo I the tool with the
logo facing upwards and the cutting edge at nine o’clock very simple but works well.

Mark getting on well with the tool watched your dvd “The Inside Story” so will be having a go soon, one thing that keeps coming to mind about the hollowing tool,
why hasn’t Crown made a sanding attachment to the tool for inside hollow forms the scrapers are very good but sanding usually gives a better finish or it does for me.

Spasm

spasm":ngzpuwby said:
Hi Jumps,
I find the tool gets better the more I use it I soon found a way to know the exact angle of the tool when inside the form the handle has a crown tools logo I the tool with the
logo facing upwards and the cutting edge at nine o’clock very simple but works well.

Mark getting on well with the tool watched your dvd “The Inside Story” so will be having a go soon, one thing that keeps coming to mind about the hollowing tool,
why hasn’t Crown made a sanding attachment to the tool for inside hollow forms the scrapers are very good but sanding usually gives a better finish or it does for me.

Spasm

Hi

Yes scraping with refine the finish but sanding the inside will produce the best finish, however you will generally always need to scrap first.

Most people do not sand inside of hollow forms as they do not see the necessity, me I do, if I can get in then I sand, each to there own.

There are quite a few articulated rotating finishing items on the money, I have to say that for me they are an expensive unnecessary item when you can make your own for a few pounds.

The most efficient way to sand the inside I have found is with power/IE using a drill with an attachment. This was covered on my DVD I think, if you have any questions let me know or give me a ring.

Back