New Toy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
penman":3o3olf19 said:
The noise from the inverter is a small fan to keep everything cool 8) 8)

Strange that it is the noisiest part of the whole thing. I am only really used to computer fans, but this one sounds more like tock-tock-tock than whirrrrrrr.

Hmmm

Don't know what that could be, although you have probably got one of the new updated inverters. Mine is over 3 years old and the only noise I get is the whirrr from the cooling fan. :? :?
Oh second thoughts have you tried using different belt positions, I find that mine clicks in,,hmmm not sure it is either the highest or the lowest gear and not in any other position. I think it is a little bit of movement on the belt pulley on the main drive shaft ( not the motor one).
Hope this might be of some help.

Malcolm

I found out what the problem was - User Error :oops:

The pulleys that slide onto the motor shaft were very stiff to begin with. So I thought I had tightened up the grub screw properly as the pulley did not move. After the lathe had been running a while the pulley became loose on the shaft and was rattling around. After tightening up the grub screw properly it is a lot quieter.

I do not know why the sound seemed to be coming from the inverter box. I guess that it most have just resonated through the shaft.

Anyway run in complete, so I have had a bit of a play this evening. Unfortunately the thread adapter that they have sent me is not the right one (the chuck end is fine, the end for their lathe is wrong :( ) So I have been playing with a goblet for now.

Hurrumph!

I can not use my Axminster chuck with the CL4! Despite being assured that I could use it with an adaptor, and them providing said adaptor, it now turns out that the chuck adaptor does not fit onto the lathe! I called them up to get the right part and they do not do any adaptors for the 3/4"x16tpi lathes. There are loads for the Nova lathes (1 1/4"x8tpi) to use every chuck under the sun, but they do not do any adaptors for the CL series...

Axminster do not do inserts for their chuckc as they do a different body for each thread type. So now my choices are to either find a 3rd party who make an adaptor, or sell this chuck and buy a new one... :evil: :evil: :evil: Not impressed!

Frugal,

Which APTC chuck do you have? I am pretty sure I have a 3/4 x 16 threaded axminster chuck adapter.

Drop me a line, you are welcome to pop over and see if it is any good?

Simon.

SVB":2w9c2hv9 said:
Frugal,

Which APTC chuck do you have? I am pretty sure I have a 3/4 x 16 threaded axminster chuck adapter.

Drop me a line, you are welcome to pop over and see if it is any good?

Simon.

The K10. The chuck has a 1"x8tpi thread on it.

Arrr, I see.

I have the super-precision where the whole back of the chuck is replaced. I am sure I had an adapter at some time though. I will have a look.

Either way, you are welcome to borrow a SP with the right thread if you want to bridge the gap between sorting yours or getting a replacement.

S

SVB":3hhm9pel said:
Arrr, I see.

I have the super-precision where the whole back of the chuck is replaced. I am sure I had an adapter at some time though. I will have a look.

Either way, you are welcome to borrow a SP with the right thread if you want to bridge the gap between sorting yours or getting a replacement.

S

I have just discovered where Axminster have hidden their spindle adaptors. There is one that adapts from 1x8 to 3/4x16, but it does not say which is male and which is female, I will need to give them a ring.

I really must pop over to see you at some point, given that you are less than 10 minutes away ;)

HI

That one goes from 1x8 to 3/4x16 they used to do them the way you want them with part number 709943.

I have one I dont need yours for a £5 plus postage if you want it or collect, it weighs 683g or 1lb 1oz in old money so not sure how much postage will be.

Or it might be worth giving toolpost a ring they do adaptors but cant find them on their website.

john

Back