New Toy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugal

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered this at Yandles in April, but as I ordered they pointed to the empty lathe stand and informed me that they had just sold the last one they had with them, and that there were no more in the country. Well, after 2 months waiting the nice man from Paletline turned up today and left this behind:

A CL-4 variable speed lathe with stand and bowl turning attachment

And as an apology from Record for having to wait so long this also turned up:

A heavy duty live centre, two 6" face plates, one 4" face plate, an adapter for my current chuck and a bottle of oil to get it run in (apparently the lathe does not come with any oil to run itself in which is a bit strange).

Only problem is that we have friends around tonight, and I have a Scouts committee meeting tomorrow night, so I will not get to play until Friday night :hmm: :hmm:

So thank you very mush to Mark Sanger who gave up his only cigarette break of the day at Yandles to come and talk me through lathe features as well as everyone else whos ear I bent for an opinion that day.

Nice one Frugal, always the same isn`t it when you get some new stuff relatives or other folk visit (touch of the Victor Meldrews methinks :lol: )
Nice touch from Record as well with the freebies
Steve

Hi Frugal.

Glad it arrived and good on Record for the extra bits.

Have fun with it but be careful as wood turning is addictive. :D

All the time and attention in producing the bits and packaging them up neatly and all you are going to do is wreck the nice neat boxes and proceed to get all the metal bits covered in horrible dust and shavings, shame on you. :p

Enjoy :tool: (hammer) =D> =D>

I could always come down the M5 in the morning and open them for you :D

Only kidding Frugal, hope it brings many happy hours of turning.

Regards

Steve

Nice one !

Remember to watch Alan's dvd of how to build it - Some tips in there worth listening to.

Loz

loz":29l6ekhw said:
Remember to watch Alan's dvd of how to build it - Some tips in there worth listening to.

Does it come in the box? I can see on the web site a number of Alan's videos, but they all seem to be around tools and techniques.

frugal":3icrv4e3 said:
loz":3icrv4e3 said:

Does it come in the box? I can see on the web site a number of Alan's videos, but they all seem to be around tools and techniques.

You should have one in the box ! - if not then register on the RP site and the lads will send you one - they are a great team - logging tickets on the RP site is great. I have even had them phone me when i have had issues !!!

L

loz":3ncdsdzj said:
You should have one in the box ! - if not then register on the RP site and the lads will send you one - they are a great team - logging tickets on the RP site is great. I have even had them phone me when i have had issues !!!

I have done that in the past for my bandsaw. I needed a new motor and when I got it I realised that I needed a copy of the manual, I raised a ticket and they emailed me a PDF copy the following day. I know that Record get knocked quite often for the Chiwanese nature of their tools, but I find their customer service first class.

Evenin' Frugal

You mentioned running in.

From the RP knowledge base ...

I have just replaced all the bearings and spindle in my CL3 lathe. Is it necessary to 'run in' the new bearings before use, in particular the phosphor bronze bearing? If so for how long and at what speed?

Yes it is advisable to run in your new replacement bronze bearing in your lathe as when originally purchased. Run in for two hours at medium speed, keep well lubicated and re-adjust the bearing when it becomes warm.

The words Granny and eggs spring to mind, but no offence intended :D

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":1t22gcyr said:
Evenin' Frugal

You mentioned running in.

From the RP knowledge base ...

I have just replaced all the bearings and spindle in my CL3 lathe. Is it necessary to 'run in' the new bearings before use, in particular the phosphor bronze bearing? If so for how long and at what speed?

Yes it is advisable to run in your new replacement bronze bearing in your lathe as when originally purchased. Run in for two hours at medium speed, keep well lubicated and re-adjust the bearing when it becomes warm.

The words Granny and eggs spring to mind, but no offence intended :D

None taken.

Whilst I have been waiting for the lathe I used google to find a manual on the RP website (well actually I found a different manual and then changed the URL based on product names ;) Record do not seem to publish their manuals, but just have them available in case anyone asks it seems) http://www.recordpower.co.uk/intricart/product/docs/1/CL4-36.pdf

In the manual it states: "To assure longer bearing life, before first use the lathe must be 'run-in' for three hours on the middle step of the pulley at speed setting 4"

I have mentally put aside an evening just to keep an eye on the lathe whilst running it in. This evening will probably be spent putting it together, and then tomorrow or sunday running it in, then next week I can make shavings ;) I am glad I realised that it needed to be run in for three hours or I would have been gutted when I realised, and then needed to push back play time by another day ;)

Hi frugal ,

3 hours is a minimum start, you might find you need continual bearing adjustment over the first 40 hours.

Our club Chair has 6 cl3's, and they still need some adjustment from time to time.

Dont forget to keep filling the nipple !

Hi Frugal

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your CL-4 as I have out of mine.
I have had mine for about 3 years now and am completely satisfied with it,
when I first got mine set up, I did as they suggested and ran it in for about 4 hours and then another couple of hours for good luck whilst keep adding a drop of their red elixir (oil) and so far I have never had to adjust the bearings :lol: :lol: .
Mine has made many hundreds of pens and lots of assorted bowls, platters and boxes, without so much as a murmur. :D :D

Good luck with your future turning

Malcolm

I managed to get out to the workshop last night and got it put together. I opened the boxes and then picked up the big bag of bolts and realised that this was not going to be a quick job - 96 bolts just for the stand :shock: There was also no DVD, so I will raise a ticket with Record to see if they are still including them or not.

A couple of problems: The instructions state that you only tighten the bolts for the stand up after the stand is put together, I found out after half an hour of fiddling that you actually only fully tighten the bolts after you have fitted the bed bars, otherwise the bars don't quite reach far enough :?

Once I had figured that out things started to go a bit more smoothly. The next problem was that although the CL4 always comes with cam fittings for the banjo and tailstock, the manual still has them as a optional extra, so it took about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why I did not have enough yellow handles before I realised that I needed to use the other slip of paper for the instructions rather than the ones in the booklet.

The other instruction problem is that the bowl attachment did not have any instructions in it, despite the main manual saying "if you have the bowl turning attachment fit that as per the instructions that came with it before you put any of this lathe together"... Fortunately the concept if fairly simple, but there are more pieces than you need. A quick search for the manual this morning shows that the extra bolt is for putting an extra saddle on the bed for really big pieces.

The motor confused me for a few minutes as the shaft on the motor had an insert in the end of the shaft that needed to be removed. Obviously the motor comes with this as standard so it can drive a slotted fitting. Fortunately this could be easily taken off.

So now it is all together and plugged in. I added a bit of oil to the bearing and with some trepidation turned it on (normally anything I do with motors involves blowing the main breaker into the house, or rewiring it wrong and having the bandsaw run backwards :oops: )

It lives! The motor and the bearings are nice and quiet, there is more noise from the inverter than from either of the others. I guess that it is using a rotary inverter rather than a digital inverter and there is something inside the inverter box that is rotating.

At this point SWMBO came out and informed me that it was 00:30 and was I going to finish soon :oops:

The next step will be to run it in and then start to play

Hi Frugal
Glad you got it all together at last :D :D .
The noise from the inverter is a small fan to keep everything cool 8) 8)

Good luck

Malcolm

Back