new toy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Found this on ebay and couldn't resist - it was within the meager budget I have at the moment.
I think I've got a decent deal but not sure really - so any comments are welcomed.

Photos aren't great as the only bench with any empty space on it had the sun shining straight in through the window.

Nutool NWL-37
01042010179.jpg

some chisel thingies
01042010181.jpg

a few more chisels
01042010182.jpg

There's various bits to go with the lathe - not sure exactly what at the moment.

£40 for the lot :)

That lot should get you up and running. Even got a chuck I see. That is usually the one thing missing.

Look forward to seeing the outcome of the toy :lol:

Pete

yep, there's something that looks like a 4 jaw chuck to me (mounted in the lathe), there are also a couple of what I think are alternative ways of mounting the wood.
I'll be able to investigate things further after easter - off to London first thing in the morning :(

Just a quick question:

What safety gear do I need to buy before I try this turning lark.
With flat stuff I pretty much only wear glasses and a mask - but then I'm not supposed to have bits of wood flying about when making boxes etc.

A full face visor is pretty much vital. Safety specs aren't enough tbh. If you want to splash out then a proper powered respirator is better. Bother than that, a dose of common sense is all that you really need. Obviously you need to take the same precautions with sanding as you would normally. Make sure everything is tightened down well. A good book (essential really) is Keith Rowley's Woodturning: A Foundation Course

Looks a good buy to me. I'll be interested to see the results of some turning. I've watched loads of these type of lathes go through on ebay but resisted temptation.

Let us know how you get on ;)
Paul

WoodAddict":3go3i9z6 said:
Looks a good buy to me. I'll be interested to see the results of some turning. I've watched loads of these type of lathes go through on ebay but resisted temptation.

Paul

So you are not a woodaddict then :?

Resistance is futile Wahhhhhaaaaaa :lol:

I'd give you £50 for that lot if you want to turn a quick profit :lol: :whistle:

Looks to me is if you've done pretty well.

Good luck with the turning

hi

my only safety advice would be , no loose garments open jacket of tops , sleeves rolled up, remove all watches & rings on the fingers , defo some sort of dust extraction and if you can't afford a full face mask at the very minimum paper face mask. enjoy your turning. hc

Yes, get Keith Rowleys's book - and read all of it !!

I've been turning for 2 years now and got ticked off at the club the other day for using a roughing gouge to start of bowl (not safe as the roughing gouge has a small tang into the handle and likely therefore to break with large diameter blanks, unlike the bowl gouge which is all tang). I went back to the book - and yes, he's says so, but I hadn't read that page!!!

If you can find a club locally, join it - apart from getting instruction, possibly formal but certainly ad hoc, you will also get the stimulation of seeing what others are turning, and realising that things go wrong for others too.

Rob

Blister":38w4j35b said:
WoodAddict":38w4j35b said:

Paul

So you are not a woodaddict then :?

Resistance is futile Wahhhhhaaaaaa :lol:

:D

I'm still a woodaddict, but I am a recovering ebay addict :shock: :lol:

Back