New toy...this could become an expensive hobby!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonwoody":2lrinbjo said:
I looked out of the bedroom window this morning at 2 am (to shut the window) and there were plenty of stars up there without going out into the garden. :wink:
However I do admire your dedication.

Thought of that mate...but the heat from the room causes quite a bit of distortion and I'm trying to get used to getting the gear to outside temperature to prevent this. I did buy an observatory on FleaBay this week so that should keep me a bit more snug and I think I will need a heated seat for ALFIE...he hates the cold! I just have to stop him jumping up on the tripod just after I have aligned it though! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":1b2b6vb1 said:
Benchwayze":1b2b6vb1 said:
I recall Sir Patrick Moore saying that a three inch (75mm) refractor, would keep the average amateur busy for a lifetime. That was in the days prior to GOTO etc, (And when he was plain Patrick too!) so I decided to take it on board. I cadged the loan of my daughter's 3", which we bought her, and which she hasn't used for some time. Since I asked about the loan, I've been more or less snowed in, and come to think of it, I haven't had clear skies for about five days! So that's going to be on ice as it were...

:D

It's going to be clear skies in Kent tonight so it's out in the snow for me!

If you can get out...there are some beautiful things on view this time of the year...Jupiter obviously but also Orion can be seen later and I am working on the nebula at the moment.

Just to emphasise, on the "GOTO" mount...the benefit is far less the go to bit...rather the tracking bit. Once you set up the equatorial mount and if you concentrate on one object, it is much less of a pain in the rear to only have to adjust the azimuth in order to follow it and especially so if you put the motor on track.

Time is then spent observing rather than fiddling with controls.

Once I set up the mount last week I could track the moon for several hours without it once leaving the centre of the eyepiece. This is far more important for the weaker objects in the sky and of course...for imaging.

Have fun with your scope mate...and stay warm! I bought a cheap pair of moon boots (excuse the pun!) and that transformed my viewing.

Jim

For sure Jim, when the skies clear, I'll be clearing a patch of yard, to set-up! I think I'll get some Moon-Boots too. They will also do for 'mooning' about the house, while I wait for SWIMBO to finish in the bathroom! My fleecy slippers are just about done for! Do I need a size bigger than normal footwear Jim? :)

THESE ones on Fleabay are cheap as chips and they go up to size 11.

I thought they would be rubbish and I think they are probably not good enough for walking far for long but they are ok out in the snow and lovely and warm!

Problem is...Annie wants a pair now! She keeps nicking mine! :mrgreen:

Jim

UTMonkey":1jlcwrhk said:
As well as footwear, standing on old carpet stops the cold creeping up your leg.

Cheers Monkey,

Carpet also works well on a concrete floor workshop. Years ago, I made a duck-board, with some carpet glued on.
It's gone the way though, and I am using rubber matting these days.

:D

I think what I need is a pair of 'Moon-slipper' boots. My walking boots are fine out in the snow, and they certainly help me stay upright! Which at my age, is doubly important. (Missus wants me to wait until I my other knee replacement is done and dusted, maybe she has a point. 8)

I am on the lookout for those, I tend to wear rigger boots when I am gazing as they are easy to slip off when I need to nip back in the house.

UTMonkey":1vue5awo said:
I am on the lookout for those, I tend to wear rigger boots when I am gazing as they are easy to slip off when I need to nip back in the house.

The ones I linked above guys are surprisingly well made...though I don't think in Britain ( :wink: ) and for less than a tenner it's worth a punt. They are just like waterproof slippers with sides!

Jim

devonwoody":1qke7x7y said:

Wow...that brings back memories! Just think...the Hubble is almost a quarter of a century old! Frightening stuff that!

What's even more frightening...with today's technology...fellow amateur imagers get results like those now...all be it with a tad less resolution (and more atmosphere to shoot through!).

But...you will be glad that I've taken BBs advice to the letter and kept it simple....

DSCN1629.JPG

And I checked out one of the special Galileoscopes and they are over £200....but I have a feeling they might not be the basic ones...

41aARc08CVL._SL500_.jpg

size: 1m long tube, extendable pedestal mount gives a height range of 37-57cm.
materials: beech tube, spray painted steel casting, optical glass and abs plastic.
optical: objective lens 60mm dia; focal length 1000mm; magnification 67x, 80x and 100x. Focusing is by manually turning the lens assembly.

:mrgreen:

I think I will stick to my one for now...

2013-02-04%2013.02.25.jpg

Especially since ALFIE is just getting to grips with finding CANIS MINOR! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh...and BB...I picked up "Turn Left At Orion...."

2013-01-28%2000.11.23.jpg

As you can see...I think it works! 8)

Jim

jimi43":jo88begq said:
And I checked out one of the special Galileoscopes and they are over £200....but I have a feeling they might not be the basic ones...

sales blurb":jo88begq said:
Odoardo Fioravanti, a Milan based designer was commissioned by Palomar, the Florence based optical instrument maker, to re-design Galileo’s telescope for the 400th anniversary of its invention.

Doesn't sound likely to be a bargain :lol:

Mine is plastic, and mass produced by Merit Models (!!)

http://galileoscope.org/specifications/

Very careful design though.

BugBear

I looked back much further into history the other night when I started imaging the Orion nebula....astounding stuff...really brings it all home.

Jim

Hi Jimi,

Just noticed this thread. As you might guess from my username.....telescopes are a core part of my job, mostly in the 4m-8m class though!

I have a 25cm dobsonian at home for fun, handmade f/6 mirror which was aluminised at work alongside a 2.5m mirror.
Making the structure was one of the things that got me back into woodworking.

SG

Good grief Jim - I think I see why you've been a bit quiet on the woodwork tools front!

Do keep a lookout for this when gazing into the heavens:

Mathieson-Logo-2.jpg

StarGazer":6i131yr5 said:
Hi Jimi,

Just noticed this thread. As you might guess from my username.....telescopes are a core part of my job, mostly in the 4m-8m class though!

Is that in your front garden, or did you hide it in your back garden? :lol: :lol:

BugBear

StarGazer":1btov57z said:
Hi Jimi,

I have a 25cm dobsonian at home for fun, handmade f/6 mirror which was aluminised at work alongside a 2.5m mirror.

SG

SG,

I have a 6" f10, that needs figuring. I doubt I will ever get around to it now. If you know anyone who would benefit from it, it's here, with the corresponding glass 'tool' and the lap I used last. (Not that the lap would be much use now). I also have a diagonal to go with it. Going cheep, cheep, for the price of some postal/carrier tokens!

(hammer)

StarGazer":sigi3r21 said:
Hi Jimi,

SG

Hi SG

A very interesting post...what sector or area of astronomy do you work in?

The Dobsonians are on my list of "will get to when I grow up" list! I think they are brilliant bits of kit...well worth exploring. I am just a bit stuck with sorting out the dome at the moment and really enjoying the benefit of a) zero setup time...and b) being at least 5 degrees warmer than the outside world just by the lack of wind chill!

At the moment I am just getting my head around image stacking and mucking about with Peltier cooling using the guts from a secondhand dehumidifier which cost FAR less than the darn things sold especially for sensor cooling. I have no idea if I will eventually build the DSLR cool box as I am trying to sort out air drying at the same time but that's a thread for another time and dimension! :mrgreen:

Andy...that is classic mate! :mrgreen:

I did however see the Plough! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: #-o

Jim

Just thought I would give a little update on how the astro imaging is coming along......

Firstly......my first deep space object.....the beautiful Orion nebula....

Orion%20Nebula%20PS%20Processing%20V3%204th%20March%202013%20TIFF%2016%20Bit.jpg

.....and this week....the Apollo 15 landing site at Hadley crater on the moon....

moon1-19th-March-2013v2.jpg

More to come

Jim

Back