new to this.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turks

Reaction score
hello to everybody out there. Can anybody give me some advice please. I am just starting to do woodwork. I bought a second hand kity bestcombi 2000 that i have had collecting dust for about 4 years. I also have a axminster jointer, dewalt compound chop saw, dewalt radial arm saw and axminster extractor. I live in worksop near nottingham. What would be the best way to learn how to use the tools properly and in the best way? Does anybody live near me that can give me some tips or even better show me some? I am not a total novice but just about. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil.

Welcome to the forum!

You certainly have an impressive collection of tools for someone starting out!

There are a few members here in the Nottingham area but it is best that they decide if they have time to help rather than me mention a few names to you!

Good Luck

Bob

Hi, Phil

Weclome mate,

Impressive list!

I live in nottingham and have a Bestcombi 2000 so any questions fire away.

Pete

thanks everybody for the replies. I am new to this but I have been collecting the tools for about 4 years. Just not really had the time to use them yet. As regards to what I want to do, I want to make things. kitchen units etc as I have just built a big extention to my house and would like to make things for it that are special to me.

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

Searching the forum topics for items you want to build will retun information. Searching google will do also. Buy a few books to read the theory part of what is essentially a practical hobby.

Best thing I find to do is first start off with a sketch of what you want to make, then work out the design or if you can't post it to the forums and you're bound to get good decent advice.

I now make items like kitchen units so can possibly help. I also have lot's of experience making windows & doors.... and I'm starting to learn how to make furniture for a living, which is also where the kitchen unit work comes in.

I really need to get my eyes tested!! 8)

I thought you wrote...I live in a WORKSHOP!!!

I mean...we are bad but not THAT bad!!!

:D :D

Welcome my friend! Nice kit!

Jim

Welcome from Devon worksop, I like making boxes, so decide what item you would like to put in a box, draw up a sketch design and go and buy the timber and join the slope.

Welcome Turks.
I agree. An impressive 'starter-kit'!

Would I be pushing the boat too far out to suggest Evening Classes in Woodwork? I think in Brum, classes cost around £20.00 a term (Not sure mind.)

But I am sure Worksop will have somewhere you can learn the basics. Hand tools or machinery, it's up to th'sen.

Anyhow, whatever route you take, be sure you think before you switch on, and measure twice, cut once. (Oh yes, and lots of reading!)
Best of luck.

John
:D

jimi43":1cpykb1h said:
I really need to get my eyes tested!! 8)

I thought you wrote...I live in a WORKSHOP!!!

i thought that originally as well

mind you i have looked at our lounge and thought -" this would make a nice workshop" from time to time, but i dont think either swimbo or the landlord would be too happy with that plan.

Firstly welcome :D

Importantly. Read the safety manuals if you have them or find them online and read them. All these machines will bite if misused or you let your attention wander in use.

By asking for advice I think you are a level headed person and will take what is said on board and choose what is right for you.
If possible take an evening class, as mentioned above, at a minimum buy or locate from your local library as many books relating to the tools you have and read up on the techniques( there are dvds available too axminster sell them). This will do two things straight away, aid to safe use and inform you on their potential. The second part will make your projects easier and the final result better.
Checking out the likes of You-Tube may be of help but be aware that posts are not always by truely competent people.
Regards Rob.

If the evening class route is not your style I would suggest some of the 'New Yankee Workshop' DVDs would be a help as you seem more machine based than hand tools.
And welcome BTW.

Roy.

do you make cabinets? from what i have seen you just make the face frames and a few wonky doors? do you live in a swamp?

clewlowm":d9qg2eja said:
hi if you want advice from trade people i e proper carpenters. come and join in
www.woodworkuk.com

Don`t worry they let me in so you`ll be ok.

Back to the OP question, Seanybaby lives in Worksop, though i`ve not seen him post for a couple of weeks.

Doug

Back