new tissue box design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I have got lots of offcuts again from this summers projects, but this one will use only 6" or 150mm lengths, really small ones.

This is going to be the upright tissue box design. (6" square)

Attachments

• new design 1w.jpg
    new design 1w.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,541
Had a good day in the W/S, prepared these waste strips all to the same thickness and hand planed a straight edge where required, then put to the bandsaw and obtained widths from 10mm to 16 and 9mm thick.

4w-28.jpg

Attempted to put light and dark timbers next to each other making contrasts as much as possible.

5w-25.jpg

The four sides and a few spares.

6w-22.jpg

So that was around 90 minutes to have them ready for gluing. (Started around 9 am.)

7w-23.jpg

Later in the day they were all glued and this morning I do not intend to put them through the thicknesser, they are reasonably flat and a sanding will do after the carcass has been constructed. (I hope).

8w-23.jpg

Thought I might do a horizontal pattern in addition but decided against because waste pieces would not be available, it would need 24" long waste lengths of equal dimensions. (that would only create more waste pieces :wink:

Yesterday did not go so well, a day of setbacks.

Firstly I made a start on cutting the mitres, this time they are to be what I call reverse mitres and I cut the first mitred corner forgetting my intention, and cut it on the incorrect face. This resulted in having to cut the vertical stripe off and reglue a spare in position, so time lost.

9w-21.jpg

Next the gluing up is not straight forward for this kind of joint.

10w-21.jpg

The first joint failed, I held it for two or three minutes but on my return it had slipped so I had to clean up and reglue however this time I used superglue in addition to Titebond and held in position again for a couple of minutes and succeeded. (I wonder if clamps could be dispensed with even on big projects combining superglue and titebond?)

Further glued parts.

11w-17.jpg

Used masking tape on final but even that was with problems, the tape ran out .

12w-16.jpg

However this morning I can see progress, glue has set and I can clean up corners on the bandsaw.

Although there is a tale of woe with the bandsaw, I have broken the table insert, (that plastic plate the blade passes through).

Another day in the W/S, knocked off those corners on the bandsaw.

13w-13.jpg

Then pushed the smoothing plane and sanders around the carcass.

15w-16.jpg

Prepared a lid, the glue bottle is almost empty but I have found it better to lay on its side, the glue arrives at the nozzle quicker!

14w-13.jpg

Worked on the lid doing the various tasks shown below.

16w-14.jpg

17w-13.jpg

Knocked off those internal corners with a no kerf saw.

18w-12.jpg

Got out those sander rings, I got from a wood show on an impulse buy, but they have proved useful over the past three years.

19w-13.jpg

20w-12.jpg

Will now put to the round over router bit and finalise the box hopefully today.

tinytim1458":1gt8vy7m said:
great design and the colours work well together, you get better and better the more tissue boxes you do.
Tim

Don't encourage him. :lol:

Only kidding DW - you crack on mate!

Dibs

p.s. I do like this one more than the oblong ones. I think you might need to really push the boat out and come up with something really funky for the next one!

Nice, as always :) ref the superglue - I wonder if the 2 part 'mitre' glues would be of any use for the tricky glue up's that you have pictured above?

Having said that #-o I remember that you can get some 'activators' (not sure on correct term) for some CA glues which speed the grab and setting process by a fair margin.

Really like this design and the contrasting colours. :) What types of wood offcuts are you using to get those colours? I'm colourblind which doesn't help identifying wood hehe.

devonwoody":sylr62t4 said:
Just got another three on the way last evening, a few debts to pay. :wink:

yere dw dont make me send the boys over! :lol:

adidat

Attachments

• boys.jpg
    boys.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,192
Got the lid on, its in the clamps which is being held by the vice.

22w-7.jpg

The chunk of maple is in case I am need of more timber for any idea that might again flash.

The box is basically finished and will get a coat of sealer and wax shortly.

21w-10.jpg

Hope the design interested. (the tissues for this style of box cost around 300% more than the oblong version, so I most probably will not make so many this shape)

John, nice box. Ref the near empty glue bottle, quicker if you keep the bottle upside down. Block of wood with a suitable sized hole in it does the job. Oh, and clean that nozzle, it's minging......:)

We seem to be on the same wavelength DW, I made a few square ones last month.

Quite a few people asked me if I make square boxes so they might be more popular than you think

100_1180.jpg

yes, nice box martin, the tissues do cost more tho. I'm getting round to the idea on mine of having horizontal stripes, its coming.

Latest posts

Back